[comp.sys.mac.misc] binhex and stuffit formats

rmbult01@ulkyvx.BITNET (Robert M. Bultman) (03/23/91)

Is there a published (or available) description of the format and
encoding method used by stuffit?  Is there a description of the format
and encoding of binhex files?  I need to exchange data between macs
and pcs and would like to be able to decode binhex'd and stuff'd files
on a pc.

Please e-mail responses.

Rob Bultman
bitnet: rmbult01@ulkyvx

P.S. -- Pardon if this gets double-posted.  I am not sure if
stuff is getting out of the university.

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/26/91)

In article <9103231549.AA27984@lilac.berkeley.edu>, rmbult01@ulkyvx.BITNET (Robert M. Bultman) writes:
> Is there a published (or available) description of the format and
> encoding method used by stuffit?  Is there a description of the format
> and encoding of binhex files?  I need to exchange data between macs
> and pcs and would like to be able to decode binhex'd and stuff'd files
> on a pc.

There is a utility for un-stuffing SIT files on a PC so you need no get the
source.  As for Binhex4, I am sure the same exists for it also. IF you cannot
locate these immediately via FTP or a local BBS, get back to me and I will get
you the unstuffer at least.
--
 | Internet: dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu | Famous Last Words:              |