[comp.sys.mac.misc] Word Breaks Up My Footnotes

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (03/26/91)

I have a document that has many footnotes, each of which is at least one
paragraph in length. After looking at how Word decides where to start the
footnotes at the bottom of the page, I'm completely stumped. Sometimes it
starts nearly halfway up the page and can fit all the footnotes without any
problems. Sometimes, however, it starts lower down on the page and carries over
the last part of the last footnote onto the top of the footnote section on the
on the page where the reference mark is? Or, is there a way to determine when
it will break up a footnote onto more than one page?

Please respond via e-mail and I'll summarize for the net.

Thanks,
Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST

IU3005@BARILVM.BITNET (Annice Grinberg) (03/27/91)

In article <12519.27ee63b9@amherst.bitnet>, ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet says:

>I have a document that has many footnotes, each of which is at least one
>paragraph in length. After looking at how Word decides where to start the
>footnotes at the bottom of the page, I'm completely stumped. Sometimes it
>starts nearly halfway up the page and can fit all the footnotes without any
>problems. Sometimes, however, it starts lower down on the page and carries
>over
>the last part of the last footnote onto the top of the footnote section on the
>footnote
>on the page where the reference mark is? Or, is there a way to determine when
>it will break up a footnote onto more than one page?

I have had the opposite problem:  I WANT Word to break my footnotes, when
they are lengthy (more than x inches of text) but it won't do so.  Is there
a way to specify the maximum amount of footnote text on a page?

Annice

ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet (03/28/91)

In article <12519.27ee63b9@amherst.bitnet>, ksbolduan@amherst.bitnet writes:

>I have a document that has many footnotes, each of which is at least one
>paragraph in length. After looking at how Word decides where to start the
>footnotes at the bottom of the page, I'm completely stumped. Sometimes it
>starts nearly halfway up the page and can fit all the footnotes without any
>problems. Sometimes, however, it starts lower down on the page and carries over
>the last part of the last footnote onto the top of the footnote section on the
>on the page where the reference mark is? Or, is there a way to determine when
>it will break up a footnote onto more than one page?

Thanks to george@mech.seas.upenn.edu for the solution:

In the footnote text style, just be sure that _BOTH_ Keep Lines Together
and Keep With Next P are checked in the Paragraph dialog box. This will keep
all your footnotes on the page where the reference is.

-Kevin Bolduan
KSBOLDUAN@AMHERST