[comp.sys.mac.misc] Scaling Bitmaps - help!

dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) (03/27/91)

I've got a MacII screen full of text I need to include in
a Word4 document. I know enough to screendump to a MacPaint file;
I've a utility that even saves it the right way round..but..

Because it's too big, it needs scaling - and that's where the
headaches start. If I print to the laserwriter, no problem; a nice,
resized image. If I use anything else, yetch. Yes, I know about
scaling ratios, and I've tried 'em all. 96% is best, but I need
something smaller. Even at 72% the results are lousy, though.

I have access here to most of the DTP and drawing packages - which
is the best for scaling a bitmap? Ought I too convert it to PICT?
Or the 300 dpi offered by applications like Retouch? Neither seems
to do much for the image!

Is there an application which will scale my screendump as the
laserwriter driver does, or am I going to be reduced to /really/
cutting and pasting??

Help!

- duncan

duncan langford   university of kent at canterbury, UK    dl1@ukc.ac.uk

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (03/28/91)

In article <7198@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:
>Is there an application which will scale my screendump as the
>laserwriter driver does, or am I going to be reduced to /really/
>cutting and pasting??
>
>Help!

Mine, this one's mine.  Only because I got a number of recommendations
for "Flash-It" myself when I posted a different problem just a few
weeks ago.  Different problem, same solution.  A terrific cdev
available on sumex.

	== Daniel ==

---------------------------
D. Daniel Sternbergh
ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/28/91)

In article <7198@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, dl1@ukc.ac.uk (D.Langford) writes:

> I have access here to most of the DTP and drawing packages - which
> is the best for scaling a bitmap? Ought I too convert it to PICT?
> Or the 300 dpi offered by applications like Retouch? Neither seems
> to do much for the image!

I don't know if it's best, but MacDraw II lets you scale bitmaps
very easily and see exactly what dpi you have changed it to.

In MacDraw II 1.1, paste in your bitmap.  Turn on Show Sizes.  Once
you click on the bitmap it will show you what the horizontal and vertical
dpi is dowm at the bottom of the window.

If you want to scale the bitmap, simply grab one of the handles and
drag it in smaller or larger.  The dpi shown at the bottom will track
what the current dpi is.

It makes it easy to scale a 300 dpi bitmap to say 150 exactly.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE