[comp.sys.mac.misc] Word 4.0 and documents that have been closed ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (03/28/91)

Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is with Word 4.0 and documents
that have been closed ?  I get file is busy messages when trying to use these
files while word is still open, and messages to insert floppies from whence
the files came ?

Thanks,

Mark Rosenberg

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (03/29/91)

In article <90821602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
 Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is with Word 4.0 and documents
 that have been closed ?  I get file is busy messages when trying to use these
 files while word is still open, and messages to insert floppies from whence
 the files came ?

For some reason one seems to need to quit Word before the file is
unlocked.

The problem is that Word is a Microsoft product. Period.
Brad Hedstrom                Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                   Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom
                                                      "I'm not an engineer,
                                                     but I play one on TV."

hades@icefloe.dartmouth.edu (Brian V. Hughes) (03/29/91)

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:

>Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem is with Word 4.0 and documents
>that have been closed ?  I get file is busy messages when trying to use these
>files while word is still open, and messages to insert floppies from whence
>the files came ?

>Thanks,

>Mark Rosenberg

    I have never been really sure of why this happens, but for some reason Word
has this small glitch that any file you have saved and then closed, is not
truly closed until you quit out of word. As far as I know there is now way
around this problem. It would be nice to see a word 4.1 or 4.01 that fixes this
problem, unless someone out there can tell me a real reason this happens. Sorry
this isn't much help, but this is how the problem works. In order to stop it
from happening, you must quit and the restart word so that it releases its hold
on all of the files that you saved during that session. Later.

--
|                             Hades || Mac Database Admin.                    |
|                   Brian V. Hughes || CALGB Central Office                   |