[comp.sys.mac.misc] Looking for writers

Ken.Knight@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Ken Knight) (03/29/91)

The following is section of the author guidelines for a new , just
starting, Macintosh magazine. Please take a look. We are seeking good
articles and you may have just what we want...

What is Open-Mac?

Open-Mac is a magazine aimed at the Macintosh
user who is trying to solve real-world problems using a variety
of methods. The primary goal of Open-Mac is to present articles
that demonstrate techniques that have helped solve such
problems. To reach our goal we are seeking well-written articles
about solving problems with the following tools:
 *  Procedural languages such as traditional Pascal and C.
 * Nonprocedural languages such as Smalltalk and LISP.
 * Object-oriented languages such as Object Pascal, Object C or
   C++, and MacApp or Think Class Library with either language.
 * HyperCard, both Hypertalk alone and in conjunction with XCMDs or
   XFCNs.
 *  High-end databases and spreadsheets which include
   powerful scripting languages, including those that can be used
   to produce stand-alone applications.
In addition to articles that focus primarily on programming we
are looking for:
 *  Articles on human interfacing. The interface you provide is
perhaps
   the most important aspect of a program. If the user interface is
   confusing the utility of a program is greatly reduced and problems
   will remain unsolved. Articles that discuss how to improve program
   design are invaluable.
 *  Articles that examine new uses for the Macintosh. While such
   articles will generally  be less technical in nature, they should
   contain enough information to allow interested readers to explore
   the subject on their own.
 *  Reviews of both software and hardware. You should of course be
   familiar with the product and the task it is designed for. For
   example, if you only  have played with Freehand you would not be a
   good candidate to review it, but if you use FreeHand regularly
   (and can compare it with similar products, such as Illustrator)
   then a review from you would be welcome.

Our current pay scale is not completely defined and will
probably see revision as Open-Mac grows and develops over time.
The current pay scale will be a two step system and is based on
the final printed articles:
 *  Articles of less than  1,200 words will receive an 8 per
   word rate.
 *  Articles of  1,200 words or more will receive an 11 per word
   rate.

Accompanying programs will be considered on a separate basis.

You can get in contact with me through several means. Leaving a message
in this forum is one, sending private email to me is a splendid means
of getting in touch with me, sending mail to my America Online account
is also a good means of contacting me, and finally you can reach me via
US Mail or via phone. Here is the contact info:

           US Mail
Kenneth Knight, Editor-in-Chief Open-Mac
9615 Culver Street
Kensington, Maryland 20895
       Voice Phone: 301-933-8075
America Online: KenKnight
  InterNet email: ken.knight@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org

For those of you who do want more information and do have access to
America Online you can find the complete author guidelines there. Just
use the Quickfinder (keyword: quickfinder) and search for files with
the key "Open-Mac." The guidelines can also be found on Internet at the
Info-Mac archives site. I know they exist on GEnie, but since I am not
a member there I cant say precisely where.

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421)