[comp.sys.mac.misc] Stylewriter Ink Cartridge Questions

icsu0057@attila.cs.montana.edu (Nick) (03/22/91)

I am thinking of buying a Stylewriter to go along with my Mac Classic.  The only concern I have is the ink cartridges... They are only good for 500 pages?  That's like 6 cents a page just for ink!  Does anyone know if the Stylewriter Ink cartridges can be refilled?  If it helps I know the Stylewriter takes the same cartridge as the Cannon BJ10-E.  Does anyone know of a place to get cartridges for that printer cheap?  I would prefer responses mailed to:
			icsu0057@caesar.cs.montana.edu
Because I do not usually read this group.
--
					thanks again
					icsu0057@caesar.cs.montana.edu

Todd Safra <TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/28/91)

I just received my Style Writer today, and have to say it is one of the best
made machines I've ever seen apple make.  It's size is incredibly convinient.
Well as to ink cartridges, 500 pages is a pile of paper about 2 1/2 inches tall
I'd say, for how fast this printer prints, and the unlikelyhood of you doing a
large print job on it, I can't see replacements running up your bill quickly.
The cartridges I bought with an educational discount were $17.  I'm sure that
in almost no time at all there will be 3rd party cartridges for under $10, I
mean think about it, you can still order an Imagewriter ribbon from apple for
some where about $20, or you can pick up 6 (supposedly) lesser quality ribbons
for the same price at your local store or mail order.  I am even more happy
with this printer than I thought I would be. If you need a printer that can do
LASER QUALITY at 360 dpi, and aren't printing 50 page documents, this is THE
printer to buy!

                                        Todd

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (03/29/91)

In article <91086.194200TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu> TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) writes:
>>I just received my Style Writer today, and have to say it is one of the best
>>made machines I've ever seen apple make.

	Is this really an Apple designed and built printer?  It looks
suspiciously like another small inkjet printer---the Cannon bubble
jet, I think.  It has the same "look and feel" as the Cannon.

>>The cartridges I bought with an educational discount were $17.  I'm sure that
>>in almost no time at all there will be 3rd party cartridges for under $10, I

	If these cartridges are like DeskJet/Writer carts you can probably
refill them for about $1.00.  I use Skrip ink and a cooking syringe to
refill mine.  Also, I wouldn't bet on the cheap cartridges.  The
DeskJet has been out for some time and I've yet to hear of cheaper
cartridges for them.  Your best bet is to refill.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (03/29/91)

In article <101434@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <91086.194200TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu> TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) writes:
>>>I just received my Style Writer today, and have to say it is one of the best
>>>made machines I've ever seen apple make.
>
>	Is this really an Apple designed and built printer?  It looks
>suspiciously like another small inkjet printer---the Cannon bubble
>jet, I think.  It has the same "look and feel" as the Cannon.

	The StyleWriter, to recap for the umpteen jillionth time
<grin> is based on the Canon BJ10e print engine (excuse me if I didn't
get the model number exactly correct).

	Apple did do -some- re-engineering on the print engine to
optimize it for graphic printing.  I've got a StyleWriter sitting on
my desk, and am very happy with it... with one exception:

	I can't use my standard text-editor-utility-DA to print things
out.  The StyleWriter doesn't seem to like getting plain ole' text.
You want to have fun - try to print out the Stuffit Classic
registration form.  From an SE/30, it took about 5 minutes as it tried
to deal with the plain text that was being sent (it eventually
reverted to a 72dpi monaco 9pt).

	You would have though that a standard "line-printer" font
could have been left in the StyleWriter ROMs for a quick text dump...

	But, other than that, I'm highly impressed.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1        + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FM-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."