[comp.sys.mac.misc] NeXT vs. Mac

doner@Aero.org (John Doner) (03/27/91)

My opinion is that its performance, price, and user interface are all
somewhat better than those of the Mac.  But not enough better to warrant
changing to a new computer.  There is far less software.  I don't see
any feature of the NeXT machine or its OS that Apple would have much
trouble adapting to the Macs, should they find it desirable.  So far
from NeXT pulling farther and farther out in front of Apple, which they
will have to do to achieve what I imagine are their long term goals, I expect
Apple to catch up and even pass them in the relatively near future.

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (03/29/91)

doner@Aero.org (John Doner) writes:
>My opinion is that its performance, price, and user interface are all
>somewhat better than those of the Mac.  But not enough better to warrant
Maybe, yes, no.
Maybe yes if the NeXT's here are set up wrong, otherwise it takes a loooong
   time to login.  There's more to it than that, but I measure speed by how
   long I have to wait.
Yes, great price.
The Mac's user interface is way great.  It's just that simple.

>changing to a new computer.  There is far less software.  I don't see
So what?  If they have what you want/need, don't worry about what they
don't have!

>any feature of the NeXT machine or its OS that Apple would have much
>trouble adapting to the Macs, should they find it desirable.  So far
>from NeXT pulling farther and farther out in front of Apple, which they
>will have to do to achieve what I imagine are their long term goals, I expect
>Apple to catch up and even pass them in the relatively near future.

If I could afford a Mac, I'd buy a NeXT.  Or 2 Amigas.  Mac's are still
the best, but then, I like Unix.  And a good deal.

--
Brian Aslakson
    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)

wjb@tantalum.eds.com (Bill Biesty) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.204543.13373@cs.umn.edu> aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) writes:
->doner@Aero.org (John Doner) writes:
->>My opinion is that its performance, price, and user interface are all
->>somewhat better than those of the Mac.  But not enough better to warrant
->Maybe, yes, no.
->Maybe yes if the NeXT's here are set up wrong, otherwise it takes a loooong
->   time to login.  There's more to it than that, but I measure speed by how
->   long I have to wait.
->--
->Brian Aslakson
->    brian@cs.umn.edu (mail)
->          aslakson@cs.umn.edu (talk)
->                  mac-admin@cs.umn.edu (Me!!)

Yeah but you can't logon to a Mac.  You have to live with that users set up.
I don't have all the latest and greatest add on software for the Mac, so I
have to live with the last persons color settings.  We had someone who
(thought they) owned the nearest Mac and insisted on having the display in
fuschia and indigo.  On a Next, your set up is saved.

Bill

sulistio@FUTON.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) (03/29/91)

Why would I want to buy a Mac?  It is not a Unix machine, not multitasking
small screen, overpriced.  With that much money I can buy NeXT, with
display postscript, 17" megapixel monitor, Unix, multitasking, built in
DSP, bundled software.  (Do I get word processor, compiler, etc. if I
buy a mac?)
And I wonder what would happen if System 7.0 come out.  I beleive there
must be a lot of software that incompatible with 7.0.  And, it will make
your mac slower and slower than before.
--
Mul			    |  Alt. address: sulistio@sutro.sfsu.edu
sulistio@futon.sfsu.edu	    |		     sulistio@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu

ddaniel@lindy.stanford.edu (D. Daniel Sternbergh) (03/30/91)

In article <9103290910.AA14493@futon.SFSU.EDU> sulistio@FUTON.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) writes:
>Why would I want to buy a Mac?  It is not a Unix machine, not multitasking
>small screen, overpriced.  With that much money I can buy NeXT, with
>display postscript, 17" megapixel monitor, Unix, multitasking, built in
>DSP, bundled software.  (Do I get word processor, compiler, etc. if I
>buy a mac?)
>And I wonder what would happen if System 7.0 come out.  I beleive there
>must be a lot of software that incompatible with 7.0.  And, it will make
>your mac slower and slower than before.

By gum you're right -- and you've made a believer out of me!  I am now
a willing disciple of NeXT!

If you dislike the Mac so much than buy a NeXT, for crying out loud.
But have the decency to refrain from starting recreational flame wars.

I, on the other hand, won't buy any machine that can't run Cosmic
Osmo.

	== Daniel ==

3.3.2 Baked Product:   The prepared product, when hydrated, mixed, and
baked to the extent necessary for baking performance evaluation and in
accordance with the baking directions in 5.4.1.1 and 5.4.1.2, shall
yield tender and crisp cookies that are not peaked.  Type I shall have a
characteristic chocolate color; Type II shall have a rich, creamy color
with brown edges and bottom; Type III shall have a rich golden-brown
color.   (from MIL-C-43205F, Military Specifications for Cookie Mix, Dry)

strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) (03/30/91)

In article <9103290910.AA14493@futon.SFSU.EDU> sulistio@FUTON.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) writes:
>Why would I want to buy a Mac?  It is not a Unix machine, not multitasking
>small screen, overpriced.  With that much money I can buy NeXT, with
>display postscript, 17" megapixel monitor, Unix, multitasking, built in
>DSP, bundled software.  (Do I get word processor, compiler, etc. if I
>buy a mac?)
>And I wonder what would happen if System 7.0 come out.  I beleive there
>must be a lot of software that incompatible with 7.0.  And, it will make
>your mac slower and slower than before.
>--
A mac doesn't have to have a small screen.  It has tons more software
right now.  It does have multitasking, just not preemptive
multitasking.  Non-preemptive multitasking is better for some
applications.  The NeXT OS takes tons more disk space - you need 300MB
to do useful work/development.  There is no evidence that system 7
will make my mac noticably slower.  The NeXT doesn't have color,
unless you want to spend serious big bucks.  And finally, what if NeXT
vanishes from the face of the Earth in one or two years?  Apple
clearly has a far better chance of survival, especially now with the
overwhelming marketing success of the new low-priced macs.  Like
everyone here has said a million times, it depends on what's important
to you.  I considered a NeXT to replace my mac plus last Fall, but I
got a IIsi instead.  I am most happy with it.  If I want Unix, X
windows, and ethernet, I'll go in to school or work and play with my
workstation there.

		Steve
		UC Berkeley

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.193959.25636@agate.berkeley.edu> strange@sprite.berkeley.edu (Steve Strange) writes:

[...]

The Mac has tons more software right now.  Yes.  The big question is
will the NeXT have good software over the next year or so?  When you
buy your machine, how long do you plan to keep it?  Which computer is
going to look pretty obsolete in two years(maybe both :-) -- HP is
coming on strong.)?  Anyway, could we ALL STOP SAYING THE MAC HAS MORE
SOFTWARE?  No shit.  Which machine is built such that the better
software is going to run on it in the future?  It's is a lot easer to
write software for the NeXT!  If for no other reason than the 15 mip,
2.5(MFLOPS) and 8MB of RAM with virtual memory least common
denominator.

By the way, for a list of features that Adobe Illustrator for the NeXT
will have that the Mac version doesn't, read comp.sys.next.

-Mike