[comp.sys.mac.misc] System v.??System v ?.? between machines

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/27/91)

	Beginner question....

	Are the System and Finder files compatible between the
	MacII's and the MacSE's??? I have a friend that might have
	a higher System Version than I, and I'd like to 'move-up',
	but since he has a MacII, I'm not sure if it will work with
	my SE...

	Thanks...

	-Mike-

dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) (03/30/91)

In article <11670001@hpmwmat.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:

	   Are the System and Finder files compatible between the
	   MacII's and the MacSE's??? I have a friend that might have
	   a higher System Version than I, and I'd like to 'move-up',
	   but since he has a MacII, I'm not sure if it will work with
	   my SE...

In response:
	You can use any system on an SE that can be used on a II, but
the reverse is not the case; the si, for instance, will not allow
anything less than 6.0.7.
	This said, I would advise that you upgrade to 6.0.5 (if you
need to) BUT GO NO FURTHER.  6.0.5 is clean.  Only upon the owners of
IIsi's (and other such newer models) is bestowed the martyrdom of
using the hellishly buggy 6.0.7.

Joev Dubach
--
----
   >    <     < ^        *     *  ||
   >    <     < ^^^^^^    *   *   ||
>  >    <     < ^          * *    ||

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (03/30/91)

Mike Powell writes in a message to All

MP> Beginner question....
MP> Are the System and Finder files compatible between the MacII's
MP> and the MacSE's??? I have a friend that might have a higher System
MP> Version than I, and I'd like to 'move-up', but since he has a
MP> MacII, I'm not sure if it will work with my SE...

Yes and no.  While almost certainly, the VERSION of the software on your friends Mac II will run oun your SE, you probably don't want to just copy the files from the Mac II because various installations are possible, some of which only install resources needed for the target machine.  Thus your friends system may be missing some pieces your machine needs.

However, your friend presumably has the system disks from which his or her system was installed on the II.  You can use those disks and the Installer program on them to install a new system on yours.

If the original disks are missing, you can do a couple of things.  First of all, you can go over to your local Mac dealer with some blank disks and ask for a copy of the latest system software.  They should let you make a copy although some dealers are jerks.  (They may try to sell you a new copy for around $50.  You don't have to pay for the software but if you want the manuals or have a think for factory fresh, shrink wrapped, presumably 100% sure virus free software, you may want to pay the bill.)

The other option, if all else fails, is to simply try copying your friends system stuff to your disk.  One of the most basic installations is to include all resources required for all machines so this has a good chance of working.  If you take this option, make sure all of the bits and pieces are from the same system, i.e. get the Finder, System, Chooser, Control Panel, General, and all the other Apple provided control panel devices, DA's etc. as well as the printer drivers you may need.  The installer mak

es sure that all the right stuff matches and one of the quickest ways to give yourself grief is to have a Finder from one system and a System file from another.

While the latest system is 6.0.7 you will hear all kinds of advice that for your machine you may only want to use 6.0.5 or even 6.0.3.  I'll stay out of that fight. :)  Hope this is of help.

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (03/30/91)

In article <DUBACH1.91Mar29165157@husc9.harvard.edu> dubach1@husc9.harvard.edu (joev dubach) writes:
>In article <11670001@hpmwmat.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>
>	   Are the System and Finder files compatible between the
>	   MacII's and the MacSE's??? I have a friend that might have
>	   a higher System Version than I, and I'd like to 'move-up',
>	   but since he has a MacII, I'm not sure if it will work with
>	   my SE...
>
>In response:
>	You can use any system on an SE that can be used on a II, but
>the reverse is not the case; the si, for instance, will not allow
>anything less than 6.0.7.
>	This said, I would advise that you upgrade to 6.0.5 (if you
>need to) BUT GO NO FURTHER.  6.0.5 is clean.  Only upon the owners of
>IIsi's (and other such newer models) is bestowed the martyrdom of
>using the hellishly buggy 6.0.7.
>
>Joev Dubach

Not quite true. (No, this is not another System Version War :-)
I let you decide which version of the System Software you want to
use. And that's true that any version that can run on a Mac II
should run on a SE.

Now there are others things than system versions to consider.
When you install a system on your Mac, you can choose a universal
version that will work on any Macintosh. That's the prefered solution
for diskettes, so that you can boot your system disk on any Mac.
But if you choose (and I think that's the default option with
the Easy Installer) to install a version specific to YOUR Mac, then
installing the system on another Mac by dragging icons will not
work. The reason is that the specific version installation puts
in your system only what is needed for your Mac, and omits
system patches that may be necessary for other Macs.
The result will be that your Mac won't boot, and display a nice
alert box explaining you the situation.

Conclusion: Find a set of system disks and use the installer to
install it.

Arnaud.--
  / Arnaud Gourdol.      // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /
 /                      // Via AppleLink: Gourdol@imag.fr@INTERNET# /