[comp.sys.mac.misc] Questions: Truetype and Stylewriter

ym3y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/29/91)

Here's the picture: I downloaded and installed the truetype font system
according to the instructions that came with it (I got it via apple.apple.com
so I can assume my problem isn't because I am using a rotten copy or
something). Using a LC with a 13" hi-res color monitor the quality of the
truetype fonts is terrible at 12-point sizes. There is some kind of weird
spacing problem going on. For example, when I type "click" the "c" and the "l"
get scrunched together to form what looks more like a "d" than two separate
letters. This not only will cause me to assume that I had misspelled words that
I hadn't, the imperfectly formed letters bother my eyes. Tell me then, what
should I do?  I don't think that this is machine specific--I remember that the
fonts on the SE/30 at our campus mac sales office looked rotten too. I called
up Apple and they didn't know what to do and didn't even know the product
existed.
On a related subject, I understand that the stylewriter (which I have, perhaps
foolishly ordered) has a rated 6,500 sheet life expectancy. I called Apple and
the rep said that he had no idea about this and that Apple would not put a
product like that out. Well, I'm not sure, they put out that rotten looking
font, didn't they?
If you send me messages, I'll summarize them to the net.
Thanks.

Kazys Varnelis
YM3Y@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

tbandit@athena.mit.edu (Carlos E Reategui) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.125853.3710@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> ym3y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
omitted stuff
>On a related subject, I understand that the stylewriter (which I have, perhaps
>foolishly ordered) has a rated 6,500 sheet life expectancy. I called Apple and
more omitted

>Kazys Varnelis
>YM3Y@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

I just got my SW two days ago an have been pretty impressed so far.  I was
under the assumption that it was the printhead that dictated the life
expectancy of Dot Matrix and Ink/Bubble Jet printers and since one replaces
the head every time you change the ink cartridge I was under the impression
that its life expectancy would depend on the mechanism, for which 6,500
pages seems way low.  I expect it to be (kind of optimistic here) more on
the 50 to 75,000 range.

Carlos
tbandit@athena.mit.edu

PS by the way student price at MIT was 375 which turned into 393.75 after taxes