[comp.sys.mac.misc] Open Letter to an After Dark User

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (03/29/91)

Let's change the subject; I've had enough of these religious debates.

I've found what I believe is a bug in After Dark 2.0 ("AD").

I was 3+ pages into a Word document when, in an attempt to use hierDA's
pop-up menu by clicking on the desktop in the lower left hand corner, I
had the system crash on me, losing my work.  Macsbugs reported an
Address Error "PutScrap +27E"

I checked for an INIT conflict, but I was able to reproduce the effect under
Finder (although the error is more easily reproduced when a MS product
is running :-) with no other INITs (save INIT cdev and AD, of course).  All
this was on an SE, but I was able to reproduce on a II, IIci, and a Plus as
well (the II's gave Bus Errors, the Plus just quit MS Word and froze).  It
follows the no-sleep corner when it is moved and seems (PutScrap) to have to
do with the drawing of the minus sign box (the error doesn't occur if the
sleep corner options are turned off).

Go ahead and try it.  Just click the mouse in your no-sleep corner a few
times (it will take fewer, like one or so :-(, in MS products) in quick
succession (unless you can time the minus sign well).  Oh, don't do this if
you have any important work you haven't saved recently.

I kind of expected a little more from the second version of "The Ultimate
Screen Saver"  I've reverted to using Moire for the time being.  If this is
a know bug, and I have just wasted bandwidth, feel free to either flame-mail
me or, preferably, send me a fix.  If there is no fix, I'm going to have to
return AD, as I cannot predict when I may happen to click in the no-sleep
corner (e.g., playing an important game during a video download ;-).

         ---------   Doc

BTW, Fish! locks my SE up after irregular intervals.  Does anybody else have
this problem?

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.3  *********************
*                                     |                                     *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |        I don't speak for IBM.       *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   Hell, I don't even work for IBM.  *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |       oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu         *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

dpaight@weber.ucsd.edu (Daniel Paight) (03/30/91)

In article <3661@ux.acs.umn.edu> oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) writes:
>I've found what I believe is a bug in After Dark 2.0 ("AD").
>

>BTW, Fish! locks my SE up after irregular intervals.  Does anybody else have
>this problem?

YES! I called Berkeley about it -- to no avail. But I have found that
the Fish! remain swimming on my Plus IF I disable the sound effects. I
experimented with this a bit. Fish! w/sound produces dead fish after a
few moments.

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent Schorsch) (03/30/91)

Doc O'Leary says:
>I've found what I believe is a bug in After Dark 2.0 ("AD").
>
>I was 3+ pages into a Word document when, in an attempt to use hierDA's
>pop-up menu by clicking on the desktop in the lower left hand corner, I
>had the system crash on me, losing my work.  Macsbugs reported an
>Address Error "PutScrap +27E"

I have had similar crashes both in the no-sleep and the immediate-sleep
corners. often when a background task (Eudora, MPW, etc.) is doing work, or
tries to do work... I have disabled the
sleep corners because of this...
-Brent
schorsch@oxy.edu

vater@snow.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Vaterlaus) (04/01/91)

In article <3661@ux.acs.umn.edu> oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) writes:
>I've found what I believe is a bug in After Dark 2.0 ("AD").
>
>I was 3+ pages into a Word document when, in an attempt to use hierDA's
>pop-up menu by clicking on the desktop in the lower left hand corner, I
>had the system crash on me, losing my work.  Macsbugs reported an
>Address Error "PutScrap +27E"
>
>Go ahead and try it.  Just click the mouse in your no-sleep corner a few
>times (it will take fewer, like one or so :-(, in MS products) in quick
>succession (unless you can time the minus sign well).  Oh, don't do this if
>you have any important work you haven't saved recently.

I did try it and your are right!  This a bug that we did not know about and
you are the first person to find it.  I tried to get it to happen in other
programs but the only one it would happen in is MS Word 3.0 and 4.0.  I tried
about 30 of the most popular programs.  Has this happened in other programs?

>I kind of expected a little more from the second version of "The Ultimate
>Screen Saver"  I've reverted to using Moire for the time being.  If this is
>a know bug, and I have just wasted bandwidth, feel free to either flame-mail
>me or, preferably, send me a fix.  If there is no fix, I'm going to have to
>return AD, as I cannot predict when I may happen to click in the no-sleep
>corner (e.g., playing an important game during a video download ;-).

I am sorry that you lost your work.  We try very hard to make sure our
software is bug free.  Because we are "just a screen saver" we often have to
work around bugs in other programs to get AD to work correctly.  This bug is
pretty obscure (though obviously fatal) given that no one has found it after
8 months of use by tens of thousands of users.  The good thing is that it is
repeatable and it should not be too hard to fix.

>BTW, Fish! locks my SE up after irregular intervals.  Does anybody else have
>this problem?

Do you have AD 2.0t?  There was a bug in Fish! that caused it to randomly
crash on the Plus, SE, and Classic.  It is fixed in AD 2.0t.

Please give me a call at work (415) 540-5535 or send me your phone #.  I can
arrange to send you AD 2.0t and talk to about the cursor bug.

Bruce Burkhalter
Berkeley Systems, Inc.

(BTW we do not have full access to the net I was using a friend's account
to read news and chanced upon this message.  If you have any questions, you
can send email to D0346@Apple.com or 73016.41@Compuserve.com.  PLEASE don't
respond to this account! It is not ours!)