[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIci user wants Stylewriter but can't use 6.0.7

18215MES@MSU.BITNET (03/15/91)

I understand that IIci users are not supposed to use system 6.0.7
and that the Stylewriter needs 6.0.7....

So does that mean that IIci users shouldn't buy stylewriters till
system 7.0 comes out???

Waaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

:)

Mark Sartor

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/16/91)

In article <88918215MES@MSU> 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:

   I understand that IIci users are not supposed to use system 6.0.7
   and that the Stylewriter needs 6.0.7....

You can use 6.0.7 on any Mac.  We're running it on our IIci at work
and have no problems at all (and this with a slew of INITs).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/16/91)

In article <88918215MES@MSU>, 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:

> I understand that IIci users are not supposed to use system 6.0.7
> and that the Stylewriter needs 6.0.7....
>
> So does that mean that IIci users shouldn't buy stylewriters till
> system 7.0 comes out???
>
> Waaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

Where did you get the idea that 6.0.7 doesn't work with a ci?  It works
for me...

-- michael, running a 6.0.7 sys on my Mac IIci

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (03/16/91)

In article <88918215MES@MSU> 18215MES@MSU.BITNET writes:
>I understand that IIci users are not supposed to use system 6.0.7
>and that the Stylewriter needs 6.0.7....
>
>Mark Sartor

Hiya,

    I have been running 6.0.7 on my ci for several months with no
problems. I am also using a ton of INITs. So, you can buy your
StyleWriter now (although why you would want one I do not know).

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (03/16/91)

!
!   I understand that IIci users are not supposed to use system 6.0.7
!   and that the Stylewriter needs 6.0.7....
!

>You can use 6.0.7 on any Mac.  We're running it on our IIci at work
>and have no problems at all (and this with a slew of INITs).

Hmmm... I was running 6.0.5 on my IIci with no trouble at all; as soon
as I "upgraded" (if that would be the right term) all *sorts* of
problems appeared.  Most notable:

	When using Apple File Exchange, selecting *any* translator
	other than the "text translation" bombs the system.  The file
	is converted with no problem; Immediately after converting, the
	system bombs with a bus error.

	When using GIFFER to save a GIF file as a PICT, the system will
	give a bus error intermittently.  Ditto copying a large PICT
	file from the clipboard to DeskDraw or DeskPaint.

Other programs give minor problems.....nothing really major.

Think twice......

Dave
Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!
LAW OF COMBAT #1:  Incoming fire has the right of way
	      #2:  If the enemy's in range, so are you
	      #3:  Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you
	      #4:  Never forget that you weapon is made by the lowest bidder

bjb@pyramid.com (Bruce Beare) (03/16/91)

I "couldn't" upgrade to 6.0.7 (SE/30) because of the sound manager problems
(my son has lots of stuff that won't work with the new one). SO, I decided
to give the StyleWriter a go with 6.0.5.

It worked!

Perhaps *something* won't work properly -- but I have not found it yet.

Bruce Beare
bjb@pyramid.com

mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Monty McNew) (03/17/91)

 -----------------
>Where did you get the idea that 6.0.7 doesn't work with a ci?  It works
>for me...

>-- michael, running a 6.0.7 sys on my Mac IIci
>--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com

I too am using a IIci with system 6.0.7.  It works perfectly.  In fact, the
machine came bundled with it.
----
ProLine:  mmcnew@pro-odyssey                               Monty S. McNew
Internet: mmcnew@pro-odyssey.cts.com                       @ Pro-Odyssey
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew                         707/437-4734
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!mmcnew@nosc.mil                Fairfield, CA

schnable@cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) (03/17/91)

I had numerous crashes running 6.0.7 - particularly when running
applications using sound. Cosmic Osmo crashed frequently. Superclock
would take the machine down when the hour alarm sounded. Since
going back to 6.0.5, I have had no problems.  The two different
stories I have been reading here (it works great! vs. it's trash)
may relate to how much sound is generated the applications
people are running.

a.schnable@att.com

peacock@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (04/01/91)

I have been using my StyleWriter with my SE/30 for a few days, running
System 6.0.5 and have encountered no problems so far.