[comp.sys.mac.misc] Desktop publishing

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (03/25/91)

We have a group that is interrested in upgrading their current
publishing capabilities ( currently using Mac's ).  They are
interrested in using frame on a couple of Next's and the existing
Mac's to put out black and white glossies.

Management has decided ( with their PC wizzard ) that MAC's and Next
( and for that matter any computer other than a PC ) are not acceptable.
Instead they have come up with an alternative proposal ( about 200k
more expensive ) using PC's exclusively.

Now to my questions:

1) What risk is there in going with the Next?  I don't expect them to
go out of business any time soon -- but is that an unrealistic
expectation?

2) Are there "superior" PC solutions in the publishing arena that
would compare?  The group is pretty set on using Frame though.

3) The "consultant" expressed his concern over that although it was
true that MAC's and Next's ( he seem's not not know that the Next is a
unix os ) were easier to use from an user-interface point of view,
once the "user" became more proficient a more "PC" oriented tool (
somehow he equated textual input to pc's ) would be more efficient for
the "user".  I don't buy this, even though I haven't been that fond of
MAC's myself ( I prefer Unix based machines ).

4) The "consultant" expressed reservations that any non-pc solution
could not possibly contain a "documentation" management tool.  He
wasn't really clear as to what he meant by "documentation management
tool". Anyone have any ideas???

5) I use Frame on Sun's and Dec's and other workstations, and find it
quite acceptable.  If there are some reasons as to not use a Next
machine ( can't come up with any currently ), does anyone out there
see anything wrong with using some Unix system like the above instead
of PC's?  The limitations of PC's don't appeal to me very much.

6) What features on MAC's and Next's that would be superior to PC's
given a publishing orientation.

Thanks,

Jim Ray
--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

hades@icefloe.dartmouth.edu (Brian V. Hughes) (03/26/91)

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:

>We have a group that is interrested in upgrading their current
>publishing capabilities ( currently using Mac's ).  They are
>interrested in using frame on a couple of Next's and the existing
>Mac's to put out black and white glossies.

>Management has decided ( with their PC wizzard ) that MAC's and Next
>( and for that matter any computer other than a PC ) are not acceptable.
>Instead they have come up with an alternative proposal ( about 200k
>more expensive ) using PC's exclusively.

>Now to my questions:

  [ Other Questions Deleted ]

>6) What features on MAC's and Next's that would be superior to PC's
>given a publishing orientation.

    I think that I can sum this question up the best out of all of them:
WYSIWYG.  This is probably the single most important advantage of the Mac and
Next over PC type machines(not counting the GUI).
    I wasn't going to replay to this initially but I thought that this question
was one of the more pertinent ones. As for some of the others, when it comes to
Desktop Publishing, the mac helped invent it. Before the macintosh publishing
had to be done professionally because there were no programs out to allow you
to effectively work with a page on an object level. Thats all I have to say on
the matter. Later.

--
|                             Hades || Mac Database Admin.                    |
|                   Brian V. Hughes || CALGB Central Office                   |

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (03/26/91)

Thanks to all for replying to my request concerning desktop
publishing.  The results were not surprising ( much as I was hoping ).
The answers only supported my original beliefs that the Next machine
would make a fine desktop publishing system.  The Next appears to be a
good choice for our application.  Apparently, they are in decent
financial health, they do have the Digital Librarian for
"documentation" management tool ( and others are available from other
vendors ), they produce a very productive publishing environment,
etc.... In other words, it is a very nice desktop publishing system.

Thanks again to the following people for their input:

Brian V. Hughes		(hades@Dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU)
Kevin			(blissmer@expert.cc.purdue.edu)
Steven D. Borrelli	(lasteve@rpi.edu)
Paul Kunz		(pfkeb@EBNEXTK.SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Todd Radel		(radel@chopin.edel.edu)
Ronald C.F. Antony	(rca@cs.brown.edu)
Sulistio Muljadi	(sulistio@futon.SFSU.EDU)
Mikel Evins		(mikel@apple.com)
Michael Perka		(Michael_Perka@NeXT.COM)
Bill Chin		(bchin@is-next.umd.edu)
Doug DeJulio		(ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu)
Kenneth Chang		(kchang@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Erik Buck		(buckerim@eudcps3.cps.udayton.edu)

I plan to post the same article in the "pc" newsgroup to see what
their response is.
--

chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.024612.1264@mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
>We have a group that is interrested in upgrading their current
>publishing capabilities ( currently using Mac's ).  They are
>interrested in using frame on a couple of Next's and the existing
>Mac's to put out black and white glossies.
>
>Management has decided ( with their PC wizzard ) that MAC's and Next
>( and for that matter any computer other than a PC ) are not acceptable.
>Instead they have come up with an alternative proposal ( about 200k
>more expensive ) using PC's exclusively.

My first suggestion is that have you boss to change a "consultant."

There are two reasons that I can think of in prefering PC -
1)  The established LAN in your company are either Token Ring or Arcnet.
    Since you said Mac, so this reason does not fit into your situation.

2)  Your boss tries to save money.  But with 200K more???  For PC???
    Can't imagine what they are proposing to buy.  I have helped someone
    spent 40k in buying 486 with 19" color monitor, 16mb ram, 300mb hard disk,
    plus two erasible optical and a exabyte.  And half of that money is for
    my pay check and my former company's overhead.

For desktop poblishing and staff use, I think NeXT might be the best choice
among the Mac's and PC's.  (Though I don't have the same feeling when they
sit in a Computer Science Department Lab.)  It is a much faster, actually
easier to configure than PC.  Suppose you have an all NeXT environment, there
is almost no Unix/Mach specific knowladge needed to setup a new NeXT.  But
for PC, you will be lucky if you can get all the commercial software work
together without any conflict.

Wen

gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (03/26/91)

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) asks:

>Now to my questions:
>
>1) What risk is there in going with the Next?  I don't expect them to
>go out of business any time soon -- but is that an unrealistic
>expectation?

The risk in buying Nexts is whether or not YOU think they will remain a
viable company. That's a matter of speculation and lots of discussion here.
What ever machine you buy, you are taking a chance on the company going
out of, or out of the business.  With IBM and Apple I think that chance is
small. With Next? (you have to call that one) :-)

>2) Are there "superior" PC solutions in the publishing arena that
>would compare?  The group is pretty set on using Frame though.

In my opinion the best DTP package is VENTRUA PUBLISHER. It beats the
pants of all the others. It is available in MS-DOS, WINDOWS 3, and Mac
versions.  From what I have seen, Frame is the best the "in how much money can
I make on this sale" department. You can run Ventura on a 640k PC/XT with a 20
meg disk. I assume the Mac version would run well on a Plus. Don't even
think about running Frame on a box that small.

What I have heard as downsides:

Quark Express: more features than Pagemaker, but publishing people just don't
              understand it.

PageMaker:    Good software to produce short documents, one page adds, etc.
              It made the Mac a success. :-)

Ventura:      Better than Pagemaker for long documents,  cumbersome for short
              documents (one pagers). Don't expect to
              do more than quick fixups on text.  It assumes that you will do
              your text entry with a word processor.

Frame:        Desktop publishing with mainframe prices (and hardware needs).

>3) The "consultant" expressed his concern over that although it was
>true that MAC's and Next's ( he seem's not not know that the Next is a
>unix os ) were easier to use from an user-interface point of view,
>once the "user" became more proficient a more "PC" oriented tool (
>somehow he equated textual input to pc's ) would be more efficient for
>the "user".  I don't buy this, even though I haven't been that fond of
>MAC's myself ( I prefer Unix based machines ).

I doesn't matter at all if they use the machine only for one or two tasks.
If they are going to use the machine for other things, I think that
documentation type people (as opposed to programmer types) would prefer the
Mac.

>4) The "consultant" expressed reservations that any non-pc solution
>could not possibly contain a "documentation" management tool.  He
>wasn't really clear as to what he meant by "documentation management
>tool". Anyone have any ideas???

No, he is Bullsh*ting you. I am a consultant too, and I have seen the "dance"
before. "If you can't dazzel them with brilliance, baffle them with bull.."
Usually you see these types as "free" consultants from a vendor. Avoid them
like the plague. The usually know very little, push their wants on you, and
disappear after the sale.

If he had a "documentation managment tool" he would only be too glad to show
you one. Or refer you to its vendor. Or call them himself for brochures.

>5) I use Frame on Sun's and Dec's and other workstations, and find it
>quite acceptable.  If there are some reasons as to not use a Next
>machine ( can't come up with any currently ), does anyone out there
>see anything wrong with using some Unix system like the above instead
>of PC's?  The limitations of PC's don't appeal to me very much.

If you are using the machines as dedicated workstations (ie only for
documentation) I would get the cheapest platform the stuff runs on.
Buy usefull things like: lots of printers, full page displays, tape backups:
scanners, and huge hard disks.  Don't waste you money on computer horespower
that you won't need.

I don't see why you would buy a $5000 Next to do what a $2000 Mac or PC
would do.

>6) What features on MAC's and Next's that would be superior to PC's
>given a publishing orientation.

None. :-)

Since you will probably use the machines for word processing
(how else does the text get in?), graphic manuipulation, drawing
(Adobe Illustrator alone makes a Mac II worth having in a print shop)
and lots of other things, I would look long and hard at Macs. Especailly since
Ventura is availble for the Mac.

I would also suggest  getting at least one AMIGA since they do illustrations
very well.

I think the best combination would be a UNIX fileserver, an ethernet network
MacIIs with full or 2 page monochome displays for set up and text entry,
MacIIs with color monitors for illustations. Through in lots of printers
and other usefull stuff and its still alot cheaper than Nexts.

--
Copyright (C) 1991, Geoffrey S. Mendelson.              All Rights Reserved.
Except for usenet followups, may not be reproduced without permsission.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar26.053352.13091@mendelson.com> gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

   The risk in buying Nexts is whether or not YOU think they will remain a
   viable company. That's a matter of speculation and lots of discussion here.
   What ever machine you buy, you are taking a chance on the company going
   out of, or out of the business.  With IBM and Apple I think that chance is
   small. With Next? (you have to call that one) :-)

So, what happens if NeXT folds in five years?  You use FrameMaker on a
PC, Mac or Sun?  I give up, what happens?  How many five year old Macs
are you using?  I think that the NeXT commmunity is strong enough to
last a few years, even if the company does go belly-up.  After all,
the more computer literate users are buying NeXTs.  It's the less
knowledgeable people who are waiting for people like you to tell them
it's ok to buy NeXTs.

   If you are using the machines as dedicated workstations (ie only for
   documentation) I would get the cheapest platform the stuff runs on.
   Buy usefull things like: lots of printers, full page displays, tape backups:
   scanners, and huge hard disks.  Don't waste you money on computer horespower
   that you won't need.

   I don't see why you would buy a $5000 Next to do what a $2000 Mac or PC
   would do.

How well does FrameMaker, Illustrator, etc run on a $2000 Mac or PC?
Let's add a nice full screen display to that Mac or PC.  How much are
we talking now?

   >6) What features on MAC's and Next's that would be superior to PC's
   >given a publishing orientation.

   None. :-)

Basically the PC sucks.  Windows still isn't up to par with the Mac
interface.  They're still playing games trying to fit everything into
640K in the PC world.  I use a Model 70 on a daily basis(sometimes
running Windows 3.0), and I can definitely say, w/o reservation, that
the PC sucks.  Try running Word for Windows on a Model 55SX.  And
people still buy the damn things...

   I think the best combination would be a UNIX fileserver, an ethernet network
   MacIIs with full or 2 page monochome displays for set up and text entry,
   MacIIs with color monitors for illustations. Through in lots of printers
   and other usefull stuff and its still alot cheaper than Nexts.

Care to post some numbers backuping up this statement?  I would say
that you're way off.

-Mike

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/26/91)

In article <yu5Gybc91@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> How many five year old Macs are you using?

35.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

radel@chopin.udel.edu (Todd Radel) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar26.053352.13091@mendelson.com> gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>In my opinion the best DTP package is VENTRUA PUBLISHER. It beats the
>pants of all the others. It is available in MS-DOS, WINDOWS 3, and Mac
>versions.  From what I have seen, Frame is the best the "in how much money can
>I make on this sale" department. You can run Ventura on a 640k PC/XT with a 20
>meg disk. I assume the Mac version would run well on a Plus. Don't even
>think about running Frame on a box that small.
>
>Since you will probably use the machines for word processing
>(how else does the text get in?), graphic manuipulation, drawing
>(Adobe Illustrator alone makes a Mac II worth having in a print shop)
>and lots of other things, I would look long and hard at Macs. Especailly since
>Ventura is availble for the Mac.

I'm not sure I'd agree ... I don't even have a NeXT yet, but from what I've
heard on the net (and thanks to all who responded :-), the NeXT is _the best_
writing and desktop publishing platform around!

I'm looking at either a NeXT or a Macintosh ... but the Mac is *way*
overpriced and can't compete with the NeXTstation for performance.
Plus built-in Ethernet on the NeXT makes networking to PC's a snap.

songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (03/27/91)

gsm@mendelson.com (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:
>jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) asks:
>>
>>Now to my questions:
>>
>>1) What risk is there in going with the Next?  I don't expect them to
>>go out of business any time soon -- but is that an unrealistic
>>expectation?
.
.
.
>>2) Are there "superior" PC solutions in the publishing arena that
>>would compare?  The group is pretty set on using Frame though.
.
.
.
>I don't see why you would buy a $5000 Next to do what a $2000 Mac or PC
>would do.
.
.
.

     Actually, I would have to differ with this analysis. I would stay
away from the Mac due to Apple's (over)pricing. Their machines are fine
but Apple is very much aware that they are the only mac maker and
set their prices accordingly. The mac market NEEDS compatibles to
drive the prices down, but Apple has the machine locked tight with
legal protection.

     I would suggest that the choice for today is a PC. With Windows 3 and
the associated applications, and with the comparitively low price of
relatively high powered PC compatibles -- PC's and applications are cheap,
fast and available now.

     I would also suggest that the choice for tomorrow may well be Next.
Lotus went from conception to beta testing with Improv in much less than
a year. Adobe Illustrator is coming out this month. While the current
software availability is low, that seems to be changing quickly with
the impact the new Next line is making. Next's are arguabily the
performance per dollar leader right now and as a result, software
houses are taking note.

-Chris    /*I go to and work for Purdue -- I hope never to speak for it.*/

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.195213.12862@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) writes:
>     Actually, I would have to differ with this analysis. I would stay
>away from the Mac due to Apple's (over)pricing. Their machines are fine
>but Apple is very much aware that they are the only mac maker and
>set their prices accordingly. The mac market NEEDS compatibles to
>drive the prices down, but Apple has the machine locked tight with
>legal protection.
>
>     I would suggest that the choice for today is a PC. With Windows 3 and
>the associated applications, and with the comparitively low price of
>relatively high powered PC compatibles -- PC's and applications are cheap,
>fast and available now.
>
>     I would also suggest that the choice for tomorrow may well be Next.
>Lotus went from conception to beta testing with Improv in much less than
>a year. Adobe Illustrator is coming out this month. While the current
>software availability is low, that seems to be changing quickly with
>the impact the new Next line is making. Next's are arguabily the
>performance per dollar leader right now and as a result, software
>houses are taking note.
>
>-Chris    /*I go to and work for Purdue -- I hope never to speak for it.*/

I would agree with your analysis of the Mac as being overpriced TO A DEGREE.
Having used Ventura on a PC for the past two summers, however, I would do
just about anything in my power to avoid EVER attempting desktop publishing
on a PC system again. I used a 20 MHz 286 most of the time, but did use 386s
and even 486s on several occasions. From this experience I conclude that for
GUI based desktop publishing the PC is pathetic. The speed on the 386s was
only on the order of that I would expect from a Mac Plus. Also, in response
to someones earlier post regarding Ventura as the top software choice, I
have never continued used a buggier piece of commercial software and
continued using it. Also, the integration of the various pieces of software
on the PC is more or less non-existant compared to the Mac. By this I mean
that integrating a simple CAD sketch and spreadsheet results into a document
is excrutiating painful on the PC when compared with the Mac, in our case
requiring the use of several DOS file translation tools. In short, I found
the PC the epitome of unproductivity in the desktop publishing arena.

With regards to purchasing a Mac or Next, both are extremely promising
environments. The price/performance ratio on the Next is better, but the
number of programs available currently is only around 100. The Mac's
pricing is somewhat steep, but has thousands of proven applications
available. Both are supposedly on approximately the same magnitude of ease
of use. Admittedly, this poses a difficult choice. I personally am holding
onto my present Mac for a while to see how each platform shapes up (and to
save up enough money for either). Above all, I would be sure to avoid the
PC, however.

Jess Holle

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.213042.8120@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes:

   With regards to purchasing a Mac or Next, both are extremely promising
   environments. The price/performance ratio on the Next is better, but the
   number of programs available currently is only around 100. The Mac's
   pricing is somewhat steep, but has thousands of proven applications
   available. Both are supposedly on approximately the same magnitude of ease
   of use. Admittedly, this poses a difficult choice. I personally am holding
   onto my present Mac for a while to see how each platform shapes up (and to
   save up enough money for either). Above all, I would be sure to avoid the
   PC, however.

   Jess Holle

Again, look at the number of programs, the diversity and the quality.
100 applications is more than anyone is going to buy in one's
lifetime.  This is the kind of attitude that would prevent Apple from
releasing an innovative machine.  Apple does have the potential to
"throw away" the Mac and start over again.

-Mike

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.195213.12862@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) writes:
>     Actually, I would have to differ with this analysis. I would stay
>away from the Mac due to Apple's (over)pricing. Their machines are fine
>but Apple is very much aware that they are the only mac maker and
>set their prices accordingly. The mac market NEEDS compatibles to
>drive the prices down, but Apple has the machine locked tight with
>legal protection.
>
>     I would suggest that the choice for today is a PC. With Windows 3 and
>the associated applications, and with the comparitively low price of
>relatively high powered PC compatibles -- PC's and applications are cheap,
>fast and available now.

Of course, I work for Apple, and any money you spend on
Apple equipment goes, on part, into my pocket. So you'll
have to consider me a biased commentator. With that in
mind, I will refrain from making any strong assertions
about Macs being superior.

However, I think it would be useful to do something
like this:

Look at the price of a Mac adequate for writing long
pieces of text, laying out the pages, and printing
the results. Factor in network support. Include the
laser printer of your choice (presumably third party,
because you want to keep price down; GCC is a reasonable
choice, for example). Now add in the word-processing,
illustration, and publishing software you want.

Now look at the price of an equivalent PC running
windows. Don't forget to add in the cost of a
network operation system and hardware.

I'm guessing that the Mac will look pretty good
when all the factors are added up. Of course,
I could be wrong. If so, that would be good
information to pass on to our execs, because
they really seem to be interested now in
competing on the basis of price.

In article <1991Mar26.232600@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellingerwrites:

>Again, look at the number of programs, the diversity and the quality.
>100 applications is more than anyone is going to buy in one's
>lifetime.  This is the kind of attitude that would prevent Apple from
>releasing an innovative machine.  Apple does have the potential to
>"throw away" the Mac and start over again.
>
>-Mike

I just ran a listing of all the applications on my drive (via MPW) and
discovered that I have 80 application files from approximately 50 different
software packages (shareware, freeware, and commercial all included). Now
granted, I don't use a lot of those on a daily basis, but yet I do use quite
a few of them regularly. You may be saying to yourself, "Wait that's less
than a hundred files!" The problem is that the 30 or so applications that
I could not do without are different from the 30 or so applications that
someone else can't do without, not to mention the DA's and INIT's. It is
relatively obvious that with only 100 programs to offer, there are a lot of
people whose software needs the NEXT cannot presently cover. Also, the NEXT
cannot possibly offer a lot of choice as to which programs to meet each need
with (ie. for many large areas there is only one program). This will
hopefully change soon. Then the NEXT will be able to live up to the promise
that I believe it has. Until then, it's shaky.

Jess Holle

hammen@vpnet.chi.il.us (Robert Hammen) (03/27/91)

>I'm not sure I'd agree ... I don't even have a NeXT yet, but from what I've
>heard on the net (and thanks to all who responded :-), the NeXT is _the best_
>writing and desktop publishing platform around!

I think that this phrase should be changed to "the NeXT has the _potential_
to be the best writing and desktop publishing platform around."

I hate to jump into this foolish Mac vs. NeXT argument, but I want to
interject some real-world experience into the discussion. The problem
with using the NeXT _right now_ to do publishing is that you don't have
a variety of software available for it. How many DTP packages are there
on the NeXT? FrameMaker, with QuarkXPress in development. How many packages
are there available for the Mac? Frame, Quark, PageMaker, DesignStudio,
Ventura Publisher, ad infinitum. This is important to note, because no
one program can do _everything_.

How many word processors for the NeXT? WriteNow and WordPerfect. How many for
the Mac? Word, WriteNow, MacWrite II, Nisus, Word Perfect, FullWrite, and so
on. I'm not saying that just because there are more packages available on
the Mac, it makes it better. But having the diversity of options allows the
user to pick the software package that suits their needs, and that they are
comfortable with. It also increases the competition between the various
companies, which leads to newer, more capable products. When you own the
market, you don't have much incentive to offer upgrades.

What about other publishing-related software for the NeXT? Is the whole
Adobe Type Library available? Even if it is, what about other fonts? There
are thousands of typefaces available in the world. Adobe does not make them
all. You can now get most of them on the Mac. And yes, to some people, it is
VERY important that they match the exact face (and not some lookalike
knock-off) that they have been using traditionally for years.

What about graphics software? Adobe Illustrator is in development, but it's
not here yet. There are no alternatives (though Altsys, the people who
write FreeHand for Aldus, are rumored to be working on a NeXT version). And,
correct me if I'm wrong, but there's nothing like Adobe Photoshop or Letraset
ColorStudio for the NeXT at this time.

More problems: there are no NeXT-to-prepress links currently available
(though Scitex is rumored to be working on it). And, the infrastructure
of service bureaus in this country does not have much support for the NeXT
at this time. (Do this: call any typesetting shop in your hometown, and
ask them if you can get typeset output from a Mac disk. Now, ask them if
you can get output from a PostScript file from a NeXT. Most of them will
go "Huh?").

There are two things which the NeXT proponents always fail to realize or
consider: (1) That no one software program is the be-all or end-all for
everyone. Diversity in software is necessary. (2) That when a business buys
a computer, they're not concerned about getting the most MIPS per buck. They
buy a computer as a tool to perform a specific task. They MUST purchase
the system that does the job today, not the one that may be better someday.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am not a NeXT-basher, nor am I a total
Mac advocate. I think the statement that "the NeXT is the best computer
for publishing" is a ridiculous one to make. I also think if you substituted
"Mac" for "NeXT", it would still be a stupid statement to make. No one
computer is the best tool for every job.

That being said, I do think the NeXT hardware has the best potential for
publishing (particularly color publishing, with the on-board JPEG compression).
I (and the software company I work for) are just waiting for the variety of
software to come out and make the market explode, so that we can justify
developing our product (RIPLINK, a prepress system link) for the machine.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
/ Robert Hammen   Software Support Engineer  Screaming Technology, Inc.       /
/ vpnet.chi.il.us!hammen  CompuServe: 70701,2104  GEnie: R.HAMMEN             /
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

jhagen@TALOS.UUCP (Jarom Hagen) (03/28/91)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <1991Mar26.213042.8120@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) writes:

>Again, look at the number of programs, the diversity and the quality.
>100 applications is more than anyone is going to buy in one's
>lifetime.  This is the kind of attitude that would prevent Apple from
>releasing an innovative machine.  Apple does have the potential to
>"throw away" the Mac and start over again.

Wait a minute, even if Apple decided to stop selling Macs  tomor-
row,  I  would still be able to use it as long as I have a way of
getting necessary parts for it.  You see, I don't need to upgrade
because what I have does what I want well enough.  Apple will de-
cide to innovate when its current product is determined to become
obsolete,  not  when  people's  attitudes  permit  innovation.  I
wonder if the fact that low-cost Macs are hot  sellers  might  in
fact slow down the Macs obsolecence.

I for one, do not expect Apple, IBM, Next or any other company to
make  the  same computer forever.  I still have my Apple II+ that
does just as much as it use to do nearly  10  years  ago  when  I
bought  it for an outragously high price.  (Well it seemed like a
good price back then :-))  I can't go to my local computer  store
and  buy  an Apple II+ anymore.   Do I care? No.  I can get parts
for it (I replaced the power supply and the keyboard).   I  don't
use it much anymore either.  I find my MacIntosh a much more pro-
fitable machine to use now.  I spent $3700 for a system that  now
I  doubt  I could get $370.  But, that old system made over $4000
in profit for me.   The  MacIntoshes,  printers  and  software  I
bought have made me even more money in Desktop Publishing.

Although I think the  Next  is  a  neat  machine  and  reasonably
priced,  I will not go buy one unless it can be shown to be worth
the investment.  I have invested a lot of money in  what  I  have
already.   If  the  Next  can  only do the same thing as the Mac,
there is no reason for me to buy the Next even if it is faster.

Someone just starting has to make a  decision  on  what  computer
does what they want best.  In my opinion, you should consider Ma-
cIntosh or Next for desktop publishing.  PCs  don't  cut  it  and
workstations are a little too expensive to be very profitable for
that kind of work.  (Disclaimer: this  doesn't  mean  PCs  aren't
useful,  I have one of those machines too and I find it very use-
ful.  But not for desktop publishing.)

100 programs in a lifetime sounds a little low  to  me.   If  you
count  every program I ever bought for a computer, it must be ap-
proching 50 by now.  That averages out to about 5 programs a year.
I hope to live longer than only 10 more years. :-)

Jarom
  *Not paid for and/or endorsed by National Political Resources Incorporated.
		                   602 Cameron St, Alexandria VA 22314
  (UUCP: ...uunet!uupsi!pbs!npri6!jhagen)

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/28/91)

Jess> With regards to purchasing a Mac or Next, both are extremely
Jess> promising environments. The price/performance ratio on the Next
Jess> is better, but the number of programs available currently is
Jess> only around 100. The Mac's pricing is somewhat steep, but has
Jess> thousands of proven applications available.

Michael> Again, look at the number of programs, the diversity and the
Michael> quality.  100 applications is more than anyone is going to
Michael> buy in one's lifetime.

Remember when the Mac was all new? The PC freaks were telling us to
stick with PC's because they had all these applications available
while the MacEvangelists told us that "You don't need 127 word
processors, just one good one and that Mac has that". Have we come
full circle?

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   |Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |		- B. Brecht

ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.052556.9495@vpnet.chi.il.us> hammen@vpnet.chi.il.us (Robert Hammen) writes:
|....I want to
|interject some real-world experience into the discussion.

I commend anyone who wishes to inject reality into this flame-thread.

I generate and use typesetting systems employing the TeX engine, and have
some experience in using the Mac platform to do this work. I consider
my primary output the PostScript code that goes to the imagesetter for
the high-resolution camera-ready copy, so the basic flavor of my environment
is TeX, Adobe Illustrator->PostScript on Macintosh.

However, I also have considerable experience with Unix and Dos as publishing
platforms, always using TeX as the formatter.

And I am seriously considering extending my house system to include the NeXT.
I have decided that the time is borderline/good for this acquisition and
I'll try to explain why.

But first some responses.

|What about other publishing-related software for the NeXT? Is the whole
|Adobe Type Library available? Even if it is, what about other fonts? There

Yes the entire Adobe Type library is available for NeXT, as well as DOS, and
for that matter, for any Unix box.

|are thousands of typefaces available in the world. Adobe does not make them
|all. You can now get most of them on the Mac. And yes, to some people, it is

Any font that conforms to the Adobe Type 1 encoding can be translated to
a format that will work on NeXT, or DOS. The tools are out there. It will
be interesting to see what Monotype, Mergenthaler, and the others will
do vis-a-vis getting their Type 1-format libraries out on non-Mac platforms,
though.

|VERY important that they match the exact face (and not some lookalike
|knock-off) that they have been using traditionally for years.

Granted without quibble.

|....the infrastructure
|of service bureaus in this country does not have much support for the NeXT
|at this time. (Do this: call any typesetting shop in your hometown, and
|ask them if you can get typeset output from a Mac disk. Now, ask them if
|you can get output from a PostScript file from a NeXT. Most of them will
|go "Huh?").

Given that I always ship straight PS files to the service bureaus, I have some
similar experience here. Most SBs would like to see Mac media, but have
no problem when you provide straight PS files on that media.

Especially when they see how much faster and more trouble-free your
jobs run than the usual fare of One-Page-at-a-time-Maker and MS Weird
stuff. (OK, so flame me. These two apps _are_ notorious within the
service bureaus for encountering problems upon printout.)

|....I think the statement that "the NeXT is the best computer
|for publishing" is a ridiculous one to make.

I agree, and admit to a feeling of acute embarassment to think that such
a statement would be made in all seriousness.  Why hasn't a great peel of
laughter come to send these marcom guys right offstage?

Now on to what I perceive to be the big advantage of the NeXT platform, given
its great bang-for-the-buck:

Unix

OK, why  Unix, and especially, why tell Mac mavens about this?

I have used Unix to do publishing work before, and I think it has some
significant advantages to offer over the Mac OS, namely multitasking,
large virtual memory, scripting language, and TCP/IP. I won't go into
explaining why these are an advantage in this posting, but if you're
interested in hearing my opinion, let me know. I don't expect NeXT
types to require education on these matters, though.

A/UX could offer these same advantages, but I think the NeXT offers
a stronger Unix platform for the dollar than the Mac.

And the third party market for NeXT is in relatively good shape. Did
you know that an external hard disk for NeXT can be purchased at any
Mac store? That's right, they use the SCSI 1 interface.  Also, the
memory for the NeXTStation (monochrome) is identical to the Mac
(non-FX) memory! These are significant tag-alongs to the Mac's
popularity.

I will say that I am basing my decision to put a NeXT in my office
on the expectation that spending money on a NeXT is for me more
cost-effective than buying an FX upgrade for my Mac. But this
is a situation where I already have all the advantages of Mac
ownership, and am simply adding a new tool. I don't expect the
NeXT to replace my Mac, just make the ensemble more powerful
than if I spent the same dollars on an FX.

So I make no claim that the NeXT is better than the Mac; I don't
need to make such a choice. I'll have the best of both worlds.

To be fair, I know that the NeXT will have certain disadvantages as well,
namely I can't by a TPD for the NeXT (or the price won't be so
competetive compared to a Mac), I'll have to learn to be a competent Unix
sysad, the NeXT isn't plug-and-play, etc. I won't downplay these
disadvantages, just factor them in.

But--and here's a challenge for Mikel's company--the lack of
preemptive multitasking and user-mode operation in the Mac, coupled
with RAM memory limitations and lask of a Unix-like scripting language
after so many years has convinced me that Apple just hasn't the
committment to provide the power tools to the power users.
And that's got to be OK, really. My response is not to jump
ship, just not to buy my whole fleet from the same company.

Arthur Ogawa        Internet: ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov  Ph: 1/415/691-1126
TeX consultant      AppleLink: ogawa                    FAX:1/415/962-1969

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar29.065913.22766@news.arc.nasa.gov> ogawa@orion.arc.nasa.gov (Arthur Ogawa) writes:
>But--and here's a challenge for Mikel's company--the lack of
>preemptive multitasking and user-mode operation in the Mac, coupled
>with RAM memory limitations and lask of a Unix-like scripting language
>after so many years has convinced me that Apple just hasn't the
>committment to provide the power tools to the power users.
>And that's got to be OK, really. My response is not to jump
>ship, just not to buy my whole fleet from the same company.

I imagine that Apple will try to respond to these weaknesses.
People who buy computers will vote on our attempts with
their wallets, and we'll see.

In the meantime, I write my code during the day on a Mac,
and at night at home on a NeXT. Anybody need a free
Scheme interpreter with a NeXT front end? A usable version
is almost ready now...

In article <FISCHER.91Mar27230945@galilei.iesd.auc.dk> fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:

>Michael> Again, look at the number of programs, the diversity and the
>Michael> quality.  100 applications is more than anyone is going to
>Michael> buy in one's lifetime.
>
>Remember when the Mac was all new? The PC freaks were telling us to
>stick with PC's because they had all these applications available
>while the MacEvangelists told us that "You don't need 127 word
>processors, just one good one and that Mac has that". Have we come
>full circle?

The MacEvangelists who said that were wrong then and the NeXT people who say
that are wrong now.  (First of all, MacWrite was NOT a good word processer.
It was a barebones word processor.  Word was the first one with enough power
to do even a high school paper (no footnotes in MacWrite...) )

Those who bought the mac were betting on the availability of software in
the near future, when it was needed.  It turned out to be a good bet for
many.  I don't think it is going to be such a good bet for NeXT.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.215715.12571@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

   The MacEvangelists who said that were wrong then and the NeXT people who say
   that are wrong now.  (First of all, MacWrite was NOT a good word processer.
   It was a barebones word processor.  Word was the first one with enough power
   to do even a high school paper (no footnotes in MacWrite...) )

If you remember correctly, it took a year before Word was available
for the Mac.

   Those who bought the mac were betting on the availability of software in
   the near future, when it was needed.  It turned out to be a good bet for
   many.  I don't think it is going to be such a good bet for NeXT.

You are already wrong.  Great software is already hitting the market.
FrameMaker, Word Perfect, Lotus, and Adobe, plus several new companies
that are going to make their fortunes like Stone Design(Create).

-Mike

You're missing an important point here.  The NeXT comes bundled
with all sorts of functionality that has to be added on to Macs
or PCs.  It seems that every month there's a deluge of shareware
and commercial products for "toy computers" that doesn't do
anything that isn't _standard_ on the NeXT.  One of the reasons
there aren't "hundreds of add-ons" for the NeXT is that THEY'RE
JUST NOT NEEDED.  And if someone wants to reinvent a wheel for
profit, they have to do a better job than what's already there
"for free."

					-=EPS=-

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/30/91)

 > MacWrite was NOT a good word processer.

I guess you don't remember the original Mac press get-together, and what
happened when a picture was drawn in MacPaint, then pasted into the
MacWrite document...
--

In article <1991Mar30.134728.13562@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

> > MacWrite was NOT a good word processer.
>
>I guess you don't remember the original Mac press get-together, and what
>happened when a picture was drawn in MacPaint, then pasted into the
>MacWrite document...

No, I don't remember that (Was too busy poring over my looseleaf copy of Inside
Mac at the time, probably :-)), but, having worked with those early systems,
I can guess.  A nice little picture of a bomb came up.

petrilli@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (03/31/91)

Matthew T. Russotto writes:
>>Remember when the Mac was all new? The PC freaks were telling us to
>>stick with PC's because they had all these applications available
>>while the MacEvangelists told us that "You don't need 127 word
>>processors, just one good one and that Mac has that". Have we come
>>full circle?
>
>The MacEvangelists who said that were wrong then and the NeXT people who say
>that are wrong now.  (First of all, MacWrite was NOT a good word processer.
>It was a barebones word processor.  Word was the first one with enough power
>to do even a high school paper (no footnotes in MacWrite...) )
>
>Those who bought the mac were betting on the availability of software in
>the near future, when it was needed.  It turned out to be a good bet for
>many.  I don't think it is going to be such a good bet for NeXT.

It seems to me that you sound like a MacEvangelist... I have used the
NeXT extensively, and most of the basic software is already there,
much of it better than that available on other platforms (Improv for
exaple, Touch-Type as another).  I think betting on NeXT is actually
safer than betting on Apple (simply because of back-lash that is
slowly coming about from their "look and feel" attitude, and the fact
that they are not even close to reasonably comptetitive in price).  I
have used a Mac IIfx (w/ 8.24 card) and a NeXTstation, and you can
have the Mac, I won't touch it.  (See the Org line if you wondering
why).

Chris

--

+ Chris Petrilli
| Internet:  petrilli@gnu.ai.mit.edu
+ Insert silly disclaimer drivel here.

In article <14483@life.ai.mit.edu> petrilli@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) writes:
>Matthew T. Russotto writes:

>>Those who bought the mac were betting on the availability of software in
>>the near future, when it was needed.  It turned out to be a good bet for
>>many.  I don't think it is going to be such a good bet for NeXT.
>
>It seems to me that you sound like a MacEvangelist... I have used the
>NeXT extensively, and most of the basic software is already there,
>much of it better than that available on other platforms (Improv for
>exaple, Touch-Type as another).  I think betting on NeXT is actually
>safer than betting on Apple (simply because of back-lash that is
>slowly coming about from their "look and feel" attitude, and the fact
>that they are not even close to reasonably comptetitive in price).

Considering NeXT doesn't have a machine below $5000, nor a color machine
anywhere within affordable range, I don't think so. As for this 'look and feel'
backlash, it seems to be only in the minds of FSF.

>have used a Mac IIfx (w/ 8.24 card) and a NeXTstation, and you can
>have the Mac, I won't touch it.  (See the Org line if you wondering
>why).

Send it to me-- I'll even pay shipping.
This has nothing to do with the virtues of the machine-- only with the imagined
virtues of the companies involved.