[comp.sys.mac.misc] Looking for hard partitioning software

miyake@cs.purdue.EDU (Keith Miyake) (03/21/91)

I've been looking around for commercial drive partitioning software
(hard partitions), but haven't been able to find any for sale.

Does anybody know of software for this (I would guess Silverlining,
but it seems to only be sold bundled with drives).

I am currently using a CMS 140 Meg drive if it makes any difference.

Thanks,

Keith
--
miyake@cs.purdue.edu

claytor@upenn5.hep.upenn.edu (Nelson Claytor) (03/22/91)

In article <13977@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> miyake@cs.purdue.EDU (Keith
Miyake) writes:
> I've been looking around for commercial drive partitioning software
> (hard partitions), but haven't been able to find any for sale.
>
> Does anybody know of software for this (I would guess Silverlining,
> but it seems to only be sold bundled with drives).

I bought Silverling direct from LaCie, without buying a drive. I think it
cost $99. Their address/phone is in their magazine ads.

Nelson

Nelson Claytor
claytor@upenn5.hep.upenn.edu

cs331124@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs331124) (03/31/91)

In article <13977@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> miyake@cs.purdue.edu (Keith Miyake) writes:
>I've been looking around for commercial drive partitioning software
>(hard partitions), but haven't been able to find any for sale.

Try SUM II from Symantec Software. It is a hard vrive backupd/repair/virus
protection/encoding/partitioning set of utilities. Very powerful, friendly,
easy to use. I bought and have partitioned my drive (into CALVIN and
HOBBES)) and am very satisfied.

>Thanks,

Oh, my pleasure!

>Keith
>--
>miyake@cs.purdue.edu

____
\  /  JOEL BURTON  cs331124@umbc5.umbc.edu  {my friend's acct, not mine}
 \/   "I wear black on the outside, because black is how I feel on the inside"

mings@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.055539.12035@umbc3.umbc.edu> cs331124@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs331124) writes:
>In article <13977@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> miyake@cs.purdue.edu (Keith Miyake) writes:
>>I've been looking around for commercial drive partitioning software
>>(hard partitions), but haven't been able to find any for sale.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Try SUM II from Symantec Software. It is a hard vrive backupd/repair/virus
>protection/encoding/partitioning set of utilities. Very powerful, friendly,
>easy to use. I bought and have partitioned my drive (into CALVIN and
>HOBBES)) and am very satisfied.

As far as I know, the partition software in SUM II, SUM Partition, does only
soft partitioning, not hard.

I believe the software bundled with my HD is a hard partitioning program.
The name of the software is Diversified Disk Utilities, it is made by
Diversified I/O, Inc.  Partitions created by the software does not belong
to a parent (or root) volume (that's why I believe it does hard partitioning).
Any partition which has a vaild system folder can be assigned as boot volume.
And it can create both MacOS and A/UX partition on the same HD.  Partition can
be spanned over several drives, and it supports a lot of the popular HDs.
You can contact Diversified I/O at:

	766 San Aleso Avenue
	Sunnyvale, CA 94086
 	Fax: (408) 745-7017
 	Phone: (408) 745-0344

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of or affiliated with Diversified I/O, Inc.,
            I am just a satified customer of its product.

   Ming Yau So                        |       <<< This area     >>>
   Internet: mings@cs.uoregon.edu     |       <<< intentionally >>>
   AOL: Ming So                       |       <<< left blank    >>>

irwin@aylmer.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar31.055539.12035@umbc3.umbc.edu> cs331124@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs331124) writes:
>In article <13977@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> miyake@cs.purdue.edu (Keith Miyake) writes:
>>I've been looking around for commercial drive partitioning software
>>(hard partitions), but haven't been able to find any for sale.
>
>Try SUM II from Symantec Software. It is a hard vrive backupd/repair/virus
>protection/encoding/partitioning set of utilities. Very powerful, friendly,
>easy to use. I bought and have partitioned my drive (into CALVIN and
>HOBBES)) and am very satisfied.
>
>>Thanks,
>
>Oh, my pleasure!
>
>>Keith
>>--
>>miyake@cs.purdue.edu
>
>____
>\  /  JOEL BURTON  cs331124@umbc5.umbc.edu  {my friend's acct, not mine}
> \/   "I wear black on the outside, because black is how I feel on the inside"

Doesn't SUM II use soft partitions?

If you want to set up hard partitions I believe to only way to go is
Silverlining by LaCie.

Mark

Mark Irwin
Dept of Statistics, Univ of Chicago