[comp.sys.mac.misc] Online services for the Mac

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (03/27/91)

In article <0B010004.s4oi2a@outpost.UUCP>, peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce)
says:

>In article <1991Mar24.231240.7433@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, kingson@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
>(Kingson Gunawan) writes:
>>  I am planning to join either prodigy or compuserve.  I know about the fact
>> that prodigy censor their bulletin board but I don't really mind about that.
>> What I need is the kind of service that I get for the amount of money I pay
>(in
>> other word I need somort of description of service per dollar paid ratio).
>
>Before you decide, check out America Online.  It provides a very
>Macintosh-like
>user interface and has lots of Macintosh related information and files.

What about the new Mac Navigator software for use on CompuServe? Does it
make this service easier and cheaper to use?

How do folks releativly rate the following services for Mac sers
on the basis of:

1. quality of advice
2. number of developers/companies using the service
3. costs for:
    a. mail (internal and Internet)
    b. conferencing
    c. downloading files
4. ease of use

the following services:

1. Compuserve
2. GEnie
3. BiX
4. America Online
5. Usenet/Netnews via public access Unix
6. The Well
7. Local BBSes

Both 1 and 4 have a user friendly interface. 3 Is cheap. 6 is full of weird
folks with similar ideas.

There was also an overview in macWorld towards the end of last year.

Either email to me or post here.

Kevin

wjb@tantalum.eds.com (Bill Biesty) (04/02/91)

Chuck Hoffman's review of AOL corresponds to my impression of it.
I quickly got bored of the chat areas (good party dudes!) and now
regularly use it to find useful software.  Although the system tends
to get bogged down in the after work hours 6:00 PM to 12:00 AM.

Twice I have been disconnected from AOL while downloading software
during those hours due to the host not responding.  Once the AOL
mac app quick unexpectedly.  Now I do my downloads early on Sunday
morning with great results: downloads take HALF their expected times!
Example: ResEdit 2.1 was supposed to take 70 minutes, instead it
took 30.

On the user interface, it takes a while to get used to.  Ever get lost
in a hypercard stack?  It can be like that.  I once posted and the next
week when I went to see if anyone responed, it took me 30 min to find
it!  Unlike Usenet news AOL allows you to open a bulletin board
at will.  And there's no way to search for new stuff across all boards
in an area without selecting them individually and doing a Find New.
(I've recently complained about this.)

I had a really great dialog between two other people going about
watercoloring which we conducted by email since the above navigation
problems were too much to deal with.  But it broke up around the
beginning of the year.

Bill