[comp.sys.mac.misc] bad disks?

schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu (Stan Schwerin) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.194724.1776@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> silber@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber) writes:

>Once upon a time I remember that there were a bunch of bad disks in
>mac-II's that Apple was replacing.  Does anyone remember what the
>disks were (size, manufacturer, serial numbers) or any other pertinent
>information?  Thanks for your help.  E-mail, please as I often don't
>get time to read news before it expires.
>
>--
>"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."
>                                                          --Sen. Everett Dirksen
>Jeffrey A. Silber/silber@theory.tn.cornell.edu
>AD-Admin Svcs/Cornell Center for Theory & Simulation in Science & Engineering

I believe you are talking about the quantum 40 MB drives that had the problem with lubrication.  After awhile they would not spin up to speed at startup.  appleplaced them under extended warranty.  I just had one replaced yesterday so it is still ineffect.

good luck.

--
* Stan Schwerin                 Internet:  schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu   *
* Yo                            AppleLink: SCHWERIN1                          *