[net.bugs.v7] Avoid large static objects

sam@delftcc.UUCP (Sam Kendall) (12/10/85)

In article <627@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> Trying to use [a very large] "static" [array] also worked, by the way, but
> produced a 1.6 Meg executable and was a bit slow to compile and invoke.
This brings up an interesting point: on many UNIX systems (V7, System V
Release 2.0, but NOT 4.2 BSD), static objects, even unitialized ones, are
never put into BSS storage.  So if your program has large arrays, make
them external even if they logically should be static.  Otherwise you
will share Daniel's wretched fate.			  ^
				||			  |/
				||			  |
				||			 / \
-----|	Sam Kendall--------------------------allegra  ! delftcc!sam
-----|_	Delft Consulting Corp.  	seismo!cmcl2 /
       \(212) 243-8700			       ihnp4/
	ARPA: delftcc!sam@nyu.ARPA or @nyu-cmcl2.ARPA
  think	     got     posting       midnight	      Glub	glub
I       I've     the         after          disease.	   glub