[comp.sys.mac.misc] Applications for Sys 7.0

nmaluf@leland.Stanford.EDU (N. Maluf) (04/04/91)

What will happen to the applications that currently run under system 6.0x,
e.g., Microsoft Word, PageMaker...etc, when we (hopefully one day) switch
to System 7.0 ?
Will we have to reinvest a fortune in buying applications compatible with
System 7.0 ?

NM

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.173734.6017@leland.Stanford.EDU>
nmaluf@leland.Stanford.EDU (N. Maluf) writes:
> What will happen to the applications that currently run under system
6.0x,
> e.g., Microsoft Word, PageMaker...etc, when we (hopefully one day)
switch
> to System 7.0 ?
> Will we have to reinvest a fortune in buying applications compatible
with
> System 7.0 ?

Most applications that work under 6.0.x will work under 7.0. System 7.0
will ship with a HyperCard stack that will help you identify any
incompatible apps. Most major vendors whose apps are not 7.0-compatible
are working on upgrades; of course, each vendor will set its own policy on
upgrade pricing and availability.

The biggest incompatibility issue in System 7.0 is 32-bit mode. Without
going into techie details, 32-bit mode allows some models of Macintosh
(those with the right hardware and ROMS) to access more than 8 meg of real
RAM. Some applications don't work well (or at all) in 32-bit mode. But if
8 meg of RAM is enough for you, you can simply turn off 32-bit mode and
then you don't have to worry about it.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if you have to use 32-bit mode in order to use
virtual memory. But VM is also an option that can be turned off.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.173734.6017@leland.Stanford.EDU>, nmaluf@leland.Stanford.EDU (N. Maluf) writes:

> What will happen to the applications that currently run under system 6.0x,
> e.g., Microsoft Word, PageMaker...etc, when we (hopefully one day) switch
> to System 7.0 ?
> Will we have to reinvest a fortune in buying applications compatible with
> System 7.0 ?
>
> NM

Well, I've been using the beta4 version for about 3 weeks, and I can honestly
say that *EVERY* application *I've* run has worked with no problems. This
includes MS Word 4.0, Think Pascal, heck even old programs and games work
without flaw. I don't see why everyone is getting so uptight about their
current applications not running. Apple knows how to support new as well as
old. The only problems I have had were with INIT's and CDEV's. Since these are
usually very specific and low-level operating pieces of code, a lot of things
they were created to fix or help have been updated, changed, fixed, etc...

But as for applications, like apple says: "Application software that conforms
to the Inside Macintosh guidelines should be compatible with System 7."
This DOESN'T mean that they will support new features of System 7. They WILL
have to be updated to support IAC and AppleEvents. But definitely should be
just as usuable as with 6.0.x.

Dan

--
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |