[comp.sys.mac.misc] Publish Your Thesis on CD-ROM?

Greg_Tjosvold@mindlink.UUCP (Greg Tjosvold) (04/02/91)

Hi all,

We are always looking for new sections to include in our CD-ROM publication.
With over 600 Meg available every 28 days, we have a lot of bandwidth
available. :-)

Anyway, while doing a little brainstorming last night it occurred to me that it
might be interesting for our subscribers to gain access to some of the Masters
and Ph.D. thesis' that have been done. We are a general interest publication so
the topics could vary widely. As most, if not all, thesis work done these days
at least starts out in a machine readable form, this would definitely be an
easy venture from a technical sense.

However, I haven't done any post-grad work, so I am unfamiliar with the
administrative side of this. Are thesis authors free to publish their work
elsewhere or does it become property of the school? Also, what would be the
best way to solicit these documents?

I would appreciate any comments about this idea you might have to offer.

Sincerely,

Greg Tjosvold
NAUTILUS Contributing Editor

P.S. I have had a good response to my free "INTRODUCTION TO NAUTILUS" CD-ROM
posting (Mac only). Just to let you know, if you missed that first posting, the
offer still stands. Just E-mail me your name, address, Modem type (Brand/Baud),
CD-ROM drive type, and preferably voice and fax numbers (the latter being
especially important if you are replying from a country where English is not
the first language. If we have a disk returned because of a bad address, we try
to call and get a new address. This has been a tad interesting in some areas.
<G>).

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/04/91)

In article <5363@mindlink.UUCP> Greg_Tjosvold@mindlink.UUCP (Greg Tjosvold) writes:
>However, I haven't done any post-grad work, so I am unfamiliar with the
>administrative side of this. Are thesis authors free to publish their work
>elsewhere or does it become property of the school? Also, what would be the

To: Greg_Tjosvold@mindlink.UUCP
Subject: Re: Publish Your Thesis on CD-ROM?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Bcc:

Hmm. Well, I didn't ask the permission of my school, but
under the suggestion of my professor, I submitted my thesis
(or a slightly modified form thereof, actually) to a conference
and it's now going to be published in the proceedings thereof..
sure hope it's legal, because I'm doing it... and since my
professor suggested it, I can plead "it's not my fault" <grin>
But, seriously, yeah, I think it's ok.

Ian

*sigh* It bounced, so I'm posting this...
--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that