[comp.sys.mac.misc] CDA Computer Sales/mail order

Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (03/26/91)

I just thought I'd pass along the following.  Some people have asked about CDA.  This is not my experience, for I have none with CDA.  This is just hearsay, but possibly relevant:

-------------------------------------
     To: All
   From: Shoshona Bieman
Subject: M A I L  O R D E R  A L E R T ! ! !
   Date: 23 Mar 91 at 02:36

Mail Order Alert!!! Do NOT buy anything from CDA Computer Sales
if you place any premium on customer service - they have none!
I ordered some hardware from them about a month ago - they said
it would take about 10 days. About a week later, they received my
Cashier's Check. I called to verify their receipt of my payment & to
verify my order would ship in the next few days. That's when they
said my order would take at least another month! I asked them to
cancel my order & refund my money immediately. A week went by
and no money. I called - it was supposedly being processed in their
accounting dept. I waited another week & called again. I was
alternately told by different people that my refund shipped on
March 11th, March 19th, and I was "assured" my refund would arrive
Friday, March 22nd. No show. I called after checking my mail in
the morning & demanded to speak to the company president. He said
he would look into it. Four hours later, still no word & it is fast
approaching "closing time" in New Jersey so I call back & ask for
the pres. again. He is "busy" so I insist on holding. 20 minutes later
their pres. gets on the phone and is rude, surly, and obnoxious -
claiming I am wasting his time & that of his precious company. He
also said he was gonna charge me for the phone time (take it out of
my refund!). As it stands, they have placed a stop payment on the
refund & are "allegedly" sending a new check by FedEx. I will believe
it when I see it. BTW, I called MacWorld Magazine and spoke directly
with Deborah Branscum who writes the Conspicuous Consumer column
(where the service bad guys are revealed & the good guys are
commended). She is interested in following up on my experience
& I will be sending her all the details.

MORAL: Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware! STAY AWAY from CDA Computer
Sales! Stay with MacConnection & the other companies that have proven
themselves down through the years!

    --=[[ Shoshona ]]=--
-------------------------------------

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.18!Adam.Frix

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (04/05/91)

In article <195783.27F410E4@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p18.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
>About a week later, they received my
>Cashier's Check. I called to verify their receipt of my payment & to

[deleted long, sad story about trying to get refund]

>As it stands, they have placed a stop payment on the
>refund & are "allegedly" sending a new check by FedEx.

>MORAL: Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware! STAY AWAY from CDA Computer

No, I think you missed the point (though I can understand why you're
upset with CDA).  The MORAL is: NEVER....I REPEAT...NEVER BUY ANYTHING
MAIL-ORDER UNLESS YOU USE A CREDIT CARD.  Don't have a credit card?
Don't buy it through the mail, unless you're willing to go through this
kind of hassle.  If you use a credit card, you can contest the item on
your bill and you have lots of other rights.  How about if the company
had gone bankrupt after receiving your check?  You would really be SOL
then.... just another unsecured creditor... you might (eventually) get
a few pennies on the dollar back.

I suppose another alternative would be to have them ship UPS/COD (if they
are willing).  That way you don't pay until you receive the goods.
Personally, though, I would do it on a credit card.