[comp.sys.mac.misc] WEIRD chooser problems: pleeez help!

jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) (04/02/91)

This message is empty.

jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) (04/02/91)

I'm having Chooser difficulties that I can't resolve. I am running
6.0.7 on a macII si. My mac is connected to an appletalk network. The problem
arises when I try to print documents on a direct line imagewriter II (ie. not
an appletalk printer). I select the proper icon and port in the chooser. I
use the modem port because the the appletalk line uses the printer port.

Now when I print a document from some WP, the WP still thinks I'm connected
to an appletalk laserwriter! In other words, the chooser isn't doing its job
or the WP isn't listening to the chooser, or whatever.

And, furthermore, when I tried replacing my chooser with the Font/DA mover,
I discovered that I could not remove DAs from the system! It just won't do it!

Can anybody out there explain what I'm seeing?
Type h for help.

Thanks,
Jeff

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (04/03/91)

What, was it so wierd you couldn't find the words to express it?
8)    <-- bespectacled grin... it's a joke, son.
--
Ian Chai                     | "God loves you just  the way you are,  but
Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu  | He loves you too much to let you stay that

In article <1991Apr2.111548.17072@neon.Stanford.EDU> jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) writes:
>Now when I print a document from some WP, the WP still thinks I'm connected
>to an appletalk laserwriter! In other words, the chooser isn't doing its job
>or the WP isn't listening to the chooser, or whatever.
Does this happen with all WPs or just a specific one?

>And, furthermore, when I tried replacing my chooser with the Font/DA mover,
>I discovered that I could not remove DAs from the system! It just won't do it!
Check to see if the system file is locked. If that fails, try to boot
from a floppy and do it. Try using the original system disks and
installer.
--

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr2.111548.17072@neon.Stanford.EDU> jhsu@neon.Stanford.EDU (Jeffrey H. Hsu) writes:

   I'm having Chooser difficulties that I can't resolve. I am running
   6.0.7 on a macII si. My mac is connected to an appletalk network. The problem
   arises when I try to print documents on a direct line imagewriter II (ie. not
   an appletalk printer). I select the proper icon and port in the chooser. I
   use the modem port because the the appletalk line uses the printer port.

So far, so good...

   Now when I print a document from some WP, the WP still thinks I'm connected
   to an appletalk laserwriter! In other words, the chooser isn't doing its job
   or the WP isn't listening to the chooser, or whatever.

The problem here is that you didn't go to the 'page settings' dialog
[in the file menu] which is how you tell the program that the document
should be set for the new printer...

   And, furthermore, when I tried replacing my chooser with the Font/DA mover,
   I discovered that I could not remove DAs from the system! It just won't do it!

This problem is because you can't remove DA's from the system while
MultiFinder is running...  But I think you could in F/DA Mover 3.8.
Are you using 4.1?