[comp.sys.mac.misc] Does Excel for MS Windows for Mac exist?

9531sons@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jamie Sonsini) (04/07/91)

In article <7930@idunno.Princeton.EDU> miyazaki@diana.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Takeshi Miyazaki) writes:

>It may sound strange, or it is just a feature and I'm a idiot....

>I have encountered it two times.
>When I mistyped something like option-command-numerical keys, Excel2.2
>(not 2.2A) displays MS Windows like menu bar and then stoped.

>Today I saw,
>      Edit    Formula     Format     Data     Option     Macro     Window
>      -         -              -     -        -          -         -

>Last time I saw
>      Find
>      -

>When I typed somthing then it disappeared, and I can't reconstruct the
>situation.

>Is it a feature and well described in the manual?  ( I only use Excel
>on the campus network and no access to the documents )

>Or something else?

>Takeshi Miyazaki
>miyazaki@ee.princeton.edu

At MacWorld in San Francisco last February, I was speaking with the
MicroSoft folks about some shortcuts in Excel for things I do
frequently (like changing the format of a column of decimal numbers to
integers).  The MS guy told about this feature - as he described it -
it's an effort to make folks who would prefer typing to moving a mouse
more comfortable.  To invoke this feature you enter a "/" character
(this is the default, but can be changed).  It then activates this mode
and lets you enter a series of key strokes (each selecting what you'd
like done) until some command is executed.  (for example: the sequence
/, d,s will put one on the proper screen to sort a selection).

				Jamie Sonsini
				UC Santa Barbara

Since I've learned about this, I do use it all the time. Very handy for
doing lots of things that are more bother with the mouse.