[comp.sys.mac.misc] Easiest way to hang a Mac...

tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (03/20/91)

What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!  Sounds like a dumb thing to
do, but around here Mac's are community property and as a result this happens
VERY often.  Mostly this happens when novices are careful, but I thought the
Mac was supposed to be friendly to novices.  Oh well, does System 7 address
this issue at all?

Paul Tlestki
Highland Hts., Ohio

rbasow@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/20/91)

justIn article <3845.27e5efa2@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
> ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!  Sounds like a dumb thing to
> do, but around here Mac's are community property and as a result this happens
> VERY often.  Mostly this happens when novices are careful, but I thought the
> Mac was supposed to be friendly to novices.  Oh well, does System 7 address
> this issue at all?
>
> Paul Tlestki
> Highland Hts., Ohio
Just hit command-period a couple of times and the disk will be removed from the
desktop.

hjelmflt@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Eric Hjelmfelt) (03/20/91)

In article <3845.27e5efa2@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
>ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!
>
>Paul Tlestki

There is available an easy solution:

	press      Command-period

and it will cancel that activity and give you control of the machine
back.

 Eric Hjelmfelt                 |  disclaimer:  What?  They wouldn't let
   hjelmflt@                    |     me speak for the University even
      symcom.math.uiuc.edu      |        if I were to pay them!

irwin@udny.uchicago.edu (Mark Irwin) (03/20/91)

In article <3845.27e5efa2@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
>ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!  Sounds like a dumb thing to
>do, but around here Mac's are community property and as a result this happens
>VERY often.  Mostly this happens when novices are careful, but I thought the
>Mac was supposed to be friendly to novices.  Oh well, does System 7 address
>this issue at all?
>
>Paul Tlestki
>Highland Hts., Ohio

Actually this can usually be easily solved.  Just type command-period
(you may have to try it a couple of times) and the offending dialog box
will disappear.  I don't know if this is in the manuals or not. I would
guess that it isn't.

Mark

Mark Irwin
Dept of Statistics, Univ of Chicago
irwin@galton.uchicago.edu
mark@stat.ubc.ca

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (03/20/91)

I seem to remember that holding the option key down while dragging
a disk to the trash seemed to help.  The option key and finder provide
some handy shortcuts and ways to ignore messages/errors.

             +----------------------+--------------------------+
             | Brent P. Burton      | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu   |
             | Texas A&M University | Computer Science/Physics |
             +----------------------+--------------------------+

mab@ecmwf.co.uk (Baudouin Raoult) (03/22/91)

In article <3845.27e5efa2@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, tletski@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
> ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!  Sounds like a dumb thing to
> do, but around here Mac's are community property and as a result this happens
> VERY often.  Mostly this happens when novices are careful, but I thought the
> Mac was supposed to be friendly to novices.  Oh well, does System 7 address
> this issue at all?
>
> Paul Tlestki
> Highland Hts., Ohio

	Just type command-dot when the finder ask you for the ejected disk.

Baudouin Raoult.
European Center for Medium Range Weather Forecast
Reading, UK

djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com (David McDowell) (03/23/91)

Just press command-.(period). It'll forget it wanted the old disk!
----
ProLine:  djm@pro-odyssey
Internet: djm@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!djm@nosc.mil

peacock@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (04/01/91)

>What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
>ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!  Sounds like a dumb thing to
>do, but around here Mac's are community property and as a result this happens
>VERY often.  Mostly this happens when novices are careful, but I thought the
>Mac was supposed to be friendly to novices.  Oh well, does System 7 address
>this issue at all?

A simple solution will be to press command-period.  Sometimes you might
have to hit that several times.  Then the system will not ask you to insert
back the disk.
-David Wu

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (04/05/91)

In article <16073:Apr100:56:1691@stealth.acf.nyu.edu> peacock@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (kenneth peacock) writes:

>>What's the easiest way to hang a Mac?  Drag the icon of a disk that has been
>>ejected into the trash and ... not have the disk!

[discussion of this problem and solution (cmd-.) deleted]

You know, since the very beginning I've felt this was a problem Apple
has failed to address.  I understand the logic of "Eject" leaving the
disk icon on the desktop for copies on single drive machines, but I
don't understand why there isn't another menu command to "Forget" the
disk.

This seems like a serious flaw in what is (generally) a very consistent
desktop metaphor.  Try explaining to a (nervous) new user that it's ok
to drag an entire disk into the trash, but not ok to drag a file or folder!
Even more fun, try to explain this to your 9-year-old-daughter ("to get
your disk back out, drag it into the trash, but NEVER drag your folder to
the trash" :-).

At work recently a new user was perusing a big box of PD software from
the user group library, copying what she wanted from each disk and then
ejecting it.  After she left I looked at the mac and almost the ENTIRE
SCREEN was filled with "dimmed" disk icons of the ejected disks!

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (04/07/91)

 > At work recently a new user was perusing a big box of PD software
 > from the user group library, copying what she wanted from each disk
 > and then ejecting it. After she left I looked at the mac and almost
 > the ENTIRE SCREEN was filled with "dimmed" disk icons of the ejected
 > disks!

Even more fun is making several dozen copies of a disk (say for a workshop)
such that all disks have the same name.  If you do this with the same kind of
approach your user followed, you end up with 20-some disk icons, all with the
same name.

Imagine my joy when the Finder suddenly asked me to insert the disk named
"workshop"...and I had to figure out which of the 20+ copies of 'workshop' it
wanted!  Ack!

INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org   -OR-    pejacoby@3m.com