[comp.sys.mac.misc] Changing HD icon

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr02.191258.26623@ariel.unm.edu>, cdelay@cie.uoregon.edu (Christian De Lay) writes:
> Is there a way (aside from the "Facade" init) to alter the icon of a hard
> disk?  I'd like to edit the icons for my hard drives, but can't figure out
> how to do it...  Suggestions?
>
> --
> cdelay@cie.uoregon.edu
> "Stress gives me something to live for..."

I doubt that you have a beta version of system 7 but never fear...

In finder 7, you can copy an icon or picture and paste it into the Get Info
box of the hard disk. This just "covers" the old icon and doesn't replace
it much like Facade does. To get back the old icon, you just clear the
replacement icon in the Get Info box.

Dan

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |

bskendig@set.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.221514.8601@umiami.ir.miami.edu> dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
>In finder 7, you can copy an icon or picture and paste it into the Get Info
>box of the hard disk. This just "covers" the old icon and doesn't replace
>it much like Facade does. To get back the old icon, you just clear the
>replacement icon in the Get Info box.

The icon you paste in will also appear as the icon for your hard drive
for anybody who mounts it via Personal FileShare, instead of the
normal `net platter' icon.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (04/05/91)

In article <40397@netnews.upenn.edu>, gasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Nathan Gasser) writes:
> They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's not in the
> finder, desktop, or system...)so,  get a visual copy of the icon you have
> now via a screen dump, etc.  Hex dump it with McSink, etc.
> Use this hex code as a search pattern in a sector editor (norton, SUM, etc)
> and replace the found hex with a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.
>
> 	I'm serious about this.  If anyone has the guts to sector-edit
> his/her boot blocks, I'd like to know if this method works.  I miss
> the sector-editing days of yore with my Apple //e.

This is true. The icon will almost always be located within the drive's
driver software. This can be located from the drive's zero block.
In fact, since the Control() call to the driver to get the icon's
pointer should return the location relative to the driver's beginning,
you could easily compute it's offset, and then probably point right
at it on the disk!

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (04/07/91)

 > The icon you paste in will also appear as the icon for your hard
 > drive for anybody who mounts it via Personal FileShare, instead of
 > the normal `net platter' icon.

If I saw this correctly last time I was playing with 7.0b6, that icon also
ends up in an invisible file at the root level of the disk called 'icon

INET: pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org   -OR-    pejacoby@3m.com

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (04/07/91)

Nathan Gasser writes in a message to All

NG> Don't like Facade, eh? Try IconMaster cdev. No go? Here's my
NG> theoretical solution. Don't know why it shouldn't work, but I've
NG> never been brave enough to try it. Here goes:
NG> They say the icon is stored on the HD's boot blocks (notice it's
NG> not in the finder, desktop, or system...)so, get a visual copy
NG> of the icon you have now via a screen dump, etc. Hex dump it
NG> with McSink, etc. Use this hex code as a search pattern in a
NG> sector editor (norton, SUM, etc) and replace the found hex with
NG> a hex dump from the icon you'd prefer to have.
NG> I'm serious about this. If anyone has the guts to sector-edit
NG> his/her boot blocks, I'd like to know if this method works. I
NG> miss the sector-editing days of yore with my Apple //e.

While you could mess around with disk editors, it would be a pain.  Easier, get a copy of System 7.0 when it comes out next month.  You can select the icon of the drive in the Get Information window and paste a picture to be used as the disk icon.  Voila, instant icon change.