[comp.sys.mac.misc] Fun Problem with Microsoft Word 4.0

kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (Kenneth Anderson) (04/06/91)

I'm having one of those really fun problems in which an application that has
worked for me perfectly since I bought it 2-3 years ago, has decided to
go bad when I wasn't looking...

Every time I start Word, I get to the part where it has opened a new file
and is sitting there waiting for me to do something.  If I start typing I'm
fine, but if I try to select the menu bar or even try to close the
Untitled1 window, I get the following cheerful message...

The application "Microsoft Word" has unexpectedly quit.(2)

Anyone have this problem and fix it?  Where can I go to find out what the
(2) means I have all of the Inside Macintosh books but I couldn't find
anything in them to help.

If I run using the finder, instead of multifinder, I get the message

address error

and a button that allows me to restart my Mac.

The frustrating part of all this is that I used Word just last Wednesday and
it worked fine, and I don't remember having changed a thing on my system, so
I can't for the life of me figure out what is going wrong.

I used Disinfectant 2.4, but there are no viruses that it finds on my disk.
I tried increasing the application's memory size using the Get Info dialogue,
but that didn't work.

The most recent thing on my system that I changed was Suitcase II.  I updated
it from version 1.2.8, to 1.2.9., so I changed back to 1.2.8 but Word still
dies with the same message.

Any ideas????????  I need some help.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

vanover@bcsaic.UUCP (Jann VanOver) (04/09/91)

In article <9104060051.aa28855@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU> kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (Kenneth Anderson) writes:
>I'm having one of those really fun problems in which an application that has
>worked for me perfectly since I bought it 2-3 years ago, has decided to
>go bad when I wasn't looking...
>
>... I get the following cheerful message...
>
>The application "Microsoft Word" has unexpectedly quit.(2)
>
>Anyone have this problem and fix it?  Where can I go to find out what the
>(2) means I have all of the Inside Macintosh books but I couldn't find
>anything in them to help.

Yeah, I know what to do.  Trash it.  Get out your distribution disk and
reinstall it.  Sometimes applications just get mixed up and need to be
put out of their misery.  Get a fresh copy and see if it helps.

Good Luck!

Jann VanOver
vanover@atc.boeing.com