[comp.sys.mac.misc] Changing HD ICON / What about Disks?

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/08/91)

All this tak about boot blocks, etc. ahs got me thinking.  Using facade you
can also change the Icons of floppies (for example I have a Question mark on
and Untitled disk), but if facade doesn't recognize the disk, the disk's Icon
is the normal Disk Icon.  I've looked through the finder and system for this
Icon (for the disks) but I can't find it.  Anybody have any ideas?

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed - Marvin  +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
+-------------------------------------+

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.221348.5837@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>All this tak about boot blocks, etc. ahs got me thinking.  Using facade you
>can also change the Icons of floppies (for example I have a Question mark on
>and Untitled disk), but if facade doesn't recognize the disk, the disk's Icon
>is the normal Disk Icon.  I've looked through the finder and system for this
>Icon (for the disks) but I can't find it.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
>+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
>+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
>| "Oh God, I'm so depressed - Marvin  +--------------------------------+
>| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
>+-------------------------------------+

Alas, my friend, your search is fruitless.  The disk icon, as well as many
"standard" Mac icons (the system file icon (the little Macintosh), the
"Welcome to Macintosh" screen icon (the Mac being drawn in squiggly lines),
etc.) are stored in the Macintosh ROM.  so, unless you have a team of lawyers
that can beat Apple, a ROM decoder a ROM burner and a ROM editor, you're out
of luck.
Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.044814.10844@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
>In article <1991Apr7.221348.5837@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>>All this tak about boot blocks, etc. ahs got me thinking.  Using facade you
>>can also change the Icons of floppies (for example I have a Question mark on
>>and Untitled disk), but if facade doesn't recognize the disk, the disk's Icon
>>is the normal Disk Icon.  I've looked through the finder and system for this
>>Icon (for the disks) but I can't find it.  Anybody have any ideas?
>>

>Alas, my friend, your search is fruitless.  The disk icon, as well as many
>"standard" Mac icons (the system file icon (the little Macintosh), the
>"Welcome to Macintosh" screen icon (the Mac being drawn in squiggly lines),
>etc.) are stored in the Macintosh ROM.  so, unless you have a team of lawyers
>that can beat Apple, a ROM decoder a ROM burner and a ROM editor, you're out
>of luck.
>Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
>INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
>      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

	Sorry, my friend, but no.  All three of these can be found in
either the System, Finder, or the Desktop.  (I can't remember which.)
I myself have seen both the system file icon and the disk icon, and I
have used a utility to change the Welcome to Macintosh icon to the
Bananna Jr. icon, and have changed the text to read "Macintosh-  The
power to crush the other kids."  (Sorry, SNL!)
	The only things like that that I know are in ROM are the arrow
cursor, and perhaps a watch cursor.

	Bob
       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
   rhumphre@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

In article <1991Apr8.051959.18050@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) writes:
>In article <1991Apr8.044814.10844@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr7.221348.5837@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>>>All this tak about boot blocks, etc. ahs got me thinking.  Using facade you
>>>can also change the Icons of floppies (for example I have a Question mark on
>>>and Untitled disk), but if facade doesn't recognize the disk, the disk's Icon
>>>is the normal Disk Icon.  I've looked through the finder and system for this
>>>Icon (for the disks) but I can't find it.  Anybody have any ideas?
>>>

>>Alas, my friend, your search is fruitless.  The disk icon, as well as many
>>"standard" Mac icons (the system file icon (the little Macintosh), the
>>"Welcome to Macintosh" screen icon (the Mac being drawn in squiggly lines),
>>etc.) are stored in the Macintosh ROM.  so, unless you have a team of lawyers
>>that can beat Apple, a ROM decoder a ROM burner and a ROM editor, you're out
>>of luck.
>>______________________________________________________________________________
>>Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
>>INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
>>      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."
>

>	Sorry, my friend, but no.  All three of these can be found in
>either the System, Finder, or the Desktop.  (I can't remember which.)
>I myself have seen both the system file icon and the disk icon, and I
>have used a utility to change the Welcome to Macintosh icon to the
>Bananna Jr. icon, and have changed the text to read "Macintosh-  The
>power to crush the other kids."  (Sorry, SNL!)
>	The only things like that that I know are in ROM are the arrow
>cursor, and perhaps a watch cursor.
>
>	Bob
>--
>       Robert Humphrey,       "It's easy to grin when your ship comes in,
>       Gentleman Scholar      And you've got the stock market beat;
>                              But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile,
>   rhumphre@ucs.indiana.edu   When his shorts are too tight in the seat."
>                                                  -Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Think again.

From page 26 of _Zen_and_the_Art_of_Resource_Editing_, (c)1990 BMUG,
ed. Derrick Schneider:

"...however, one of these is a lie.  Many people want to edit the way a disk
will look when it is inserted in the drive, so they edit the floppy disk they
see in the Finder.  However, this is to no avail.  The icon for an inserted
floppy disk is built into the ROMS of your Macintosh.  This disk is actually
used very seldomly.  Well, it was worth the shot anyways."

I have tried to change the disk icon as mentioned above, and it didn't
work.  The Finder used the disk icon in memory.

Now that I think about it, actually, the system file icon IS editable.
My mistake.

However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.

What kind of mac do you have anyway?  Perhaps they aren't in your version
of the ROM.
> [...]

>will look when it is inserted in the drive, so they edit the floppy disk they
>see in the Finder.  However, this is to no avail.  The icon for an inserted
>floppy disk is built into the ROMS of your Macintosh.  This disk is actually
>used very seldomly.  Well, it was worth the shot anyways."

>I have tried to change the disk icon as mentioned above, and it didn't
>work.  The Finder used the disk icon in memory.

>Now that I think about it, actually, the system file icon IS editable.
>My mistake.

>However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
>the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.

>What kind of mac do you have anyway?  Perhaps they aren't in your version
>of the ROM.
>Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr

I know about this one:

There is a program out there that will let you edit your startup, bomb, and
disk request ICONS and messages, I cant recall it's name, but it's probable
that it's on sumex.

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.114016.3863@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
>From page 26 of _Zen_and_the_Art_of_Resource_Editing_, (c)1990 BMUG,
>ed. Derrick Schneider:
>
>"...however, one of these is a lie.  Many people want to edit the way a disk
>will look when it is inserted in the drive, so they edit the floppy disk they
>see in the Finder.  However, this is to no avail.  The icon for an inserted
>floppy disk is built into the ROMS of your Macintosh.  This disk is actually
>used very seldomly.  Well, it was worth the shot anyways."
>
>I have tried to change the disk icon as mentioned above, and it didn't
>work.  The Finder used the disk icon in memory.
>
>Now that I think about it, actually, the system file icon IS editable.
>My mistake.
>
>However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
>the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.
>
>What kind of mac do you have anyway?  Perhaps they aren't in your version
>of the ROM.

RE: Floppy Icons

You can use Facade to change their looks based upon their volume name.

I can't remember if it changes the generic volume look.

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

ajr3@quads.uchicago.edu (alain joel roy) (04/08/91)

>However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
>the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.

>Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
>INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
>      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

Actually, the icon for the Welcome to Macintosh screen IS stored in your
System File--it is in the DSAT resource. Unfortunately, this is a difficult
resource to edit--although I remember seeing a program at sumex to do it.
For more info, try Inside Mac II, page 357-363.

c90davby@odalix.ida.liu.se (David Byers) (04/09/91)

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

>Think again.

>However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
>the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.

It is in your system file, in one of the DSAT resources, which contain
information for posting system errors. The System error and "Please
insert the disk..." dialogs are there as well. Regrettably the format
is somewhat difficult.

>What kind of mac do you have anyway?  Perhaps they [disk icons]
>aren't in your version of the ROM.

If the disk icon is in ROM, you can override it using the ROV#(?)
resource in the System file. At least I think it is the ROV#...
Editing ROM override resources isn't really something you are supposed
to do, 'cause you might break the system completely.

I don't know how thing are arranged in System 7.0.
--
 _____________________________________  ____________________________________
| David Byers                         ||SnailMail:     David Byers          |

rhumphre@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Robert P. Humphrey) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.134459.30976@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:

>>>	Sorry, my friend, but no.  All three of these can be found in
>>>either the System, Finder, or the Desktop.  (I can't remember which.)
>>>I myself have seen both the system file icon and the disk icon, and I
>>>have used a utility to change the Welcome to Macintosh icon to the
>>>Bananna Jr. icon, and have changed the text to read "Macintosh-  The
>>>power to crush the other kids."  (Sorry, SNL!)
>>>	The only things like that that I know are in ROM are the arrow
>>>cursor, and perhaps a watch cursor.
>>>
>>>	Bob

>>Think again.
>
>>From page 26 of _Zen_and_the_Art_of_Resource_Editing_, (c)1990 BMUG,
>>ed. Derrick Schneider:
>
>>"...however, one of these is a lie.  Many people want to edit the way a disk
>>will look when it is inserted in the drive, so they edit the floppy disk they
>>see in the Finder.  However, this is to no avail.  The icon for an inserted
>>floppy disk is built into the ROMS of your Macintosh.  This disk is actually
>>used very seldomly.  Well, it was worth the shot anyways."
>
>>I have tried to change the disk icon as mentioned above, and it didn't
>>work.  The Finder used the disk icon in memory.
>
>>Now that I think about it, actually, the system file icon IS editable.
>>My mistake.
>
>>However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
>>the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.
>
>>What kind of mac do you have anyway?  Perhaps they aren't in your version
>>of the ROM.

>I know about this one:
>
>There is a program out there that will let you edit your startup, bomb, and
>disk request ICONS and messages, I cant recall it's name, but it's probable
>that it's on sumex.

	This is the application to which I am refering.

james@netcom.COM (James L. Paul) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.044814.10844@agate.berkeley.edu> dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
>In article <1991Apr7.221348.5837@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>>All this tak about boot blocks, etc. ahs got me thinking.  Using facade you
>>can also change the Icons of floppies (for example I have a Question mark on
>>and Untitled disk), but if facade doesn't recognize the disk, the disk's Icon
>>is the normal Disk Icon.  I've looked through the finder and system for this
>>Icon (for the disks) but I can't find it.  Anybody have any ideas?
>>
>>+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>>| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
>>+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
>>| "Oh God, I'm so depressed - Marvin  +--------------------------------+
>>| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
>>+-------------------------------------+
>

>Alas, my friend, your search is fruitless.  The disk icon, as well as many
>"standard" Mac icons (the system file icon (the little Macintosh), the
>"Welcome to Macintosh" screen icon (the Mac being drawn in squiggly lines),
>etc.) are stored in the Macintosh ROM.  so, unless you have a team of lawyers
>that can beat Apple, a ROM decoder a ROM burner and a ROM editor, you're out
>of luck.
>Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
>INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
>      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

Sorry, this isn't correct. These icons are not in ROM. For example, the
disk icon is in the driver code that resides in the HD Setup application.
To change this icon, do a hex search for part of the icon. Simply replace
the inline-stored icon and mask bitmaps with your own. (The icon is not
stored as a resource, making it more difficult to change, it's in a CODE
resource.)

The Mac icon that displayes in the welcome box is stored as a resource, and
has always been. It is easily replacable. The text can also be changed, but
has a maximum length.

--
James L. Paul

Internet:  netcom!james@apple.com | AppleLink: D1231 | CompuServe: 72767,3436
UUCP: {apple,amdahl}!netcom!james | GEnie:    J.PAUL | Voice:    415 377-1981
Packet:     N6SIW@N6EEG.CA.USA.NA | Delphi:   JLPaul | Home Fax: 415 377-0381