[comp.sys.mac.misc] StyleWriter fuzziness?

good@cs.mcgill.ca (Dave GOODGER) (04/09/91)

I went in to the campus microcomputer store the other day to look at the
new StyleWriter.  I printed up a test doc (text & graphics), and noticed
that although the left edge of lines was sharp, the right edge was fuzzy.
It's as if the ink dots were smudged by the print head, or the print head
was wiping itself dry on the paper (sumimasen, please excuse my rudeness).

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  You might have to look closely
at the page; at first glance it looks fine and no one else noticed it
until I pointed it out.  Does it go away eventually?

I am thinking about getting a StyleWriter, but don't want to shell out
$600 for a lemon.  I will try to monitor replies in the newsgroup, but
please send personal e-mail as well / instead.  Gracias.

--
  David J Goodger    /\    "This theory that I have, that is to say, which is
 good@cs.mcgill.ca  /  \/\  mine, is mine ... that it is." -- Anne Elk [Miss]

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr9.031824.16321@cs.mcgill.ca> good@cs.mcgill.ca (Dave GOODGER) writes:

>I went in to the campus microcomputer store the other day to look at the
>new StyleWriter.  I printed up a test doc (text & graphics), and noticed
>that although the left edge of lines was sharp, the right edge was fuzzy.
>It's as if the ink dots were smudged by the print head, or the print head
>was wiping itself dry on the paper (sumimasen, please excuse my rudeness).

I have used a SW for a while now and not noticed this particular problem.
However, the print quality is VERY sensitive to the kind of paper you
use.  I get satisfactory results with a good quality copier bond, but
even then it makes a difference which side of the paper I use.  The
best paper seems to be 25% rag bond no heavier than 20 lb, and
calendared pretty smooth.

The other possibility, as you mention, is that your printer may have
a defect.

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com