[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac LC video

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (04/07/91)

[]
Is a mac LC witha color monitor and 8 bit pixels pretty much
just like a slightly lower res version of the Mac II series
8 bit video?  I have never seen one and I wonder what drawbacks
are there toi the Mac LC display vs the standard 640X480X8bit
Mac II series display cards.
Can someone point out the differences to me?
Thanks
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (04/08/91)

[]

Thanks for the info on Mac LC video from all who responded, but the
main question I had was does the LC have a24 bit Palette, like the
mac II series, that is 8 bits of red, 8 of gren and 8 of blue?

for a palette of 16M+ colors just like a mac II.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (04/09/91)

[]
I am getting a variety of responses, many conflicting regarding mac LC
video, but what I think is true is:

1) With a VGA monitor and a VRAM upgrade you can get 640X480 color
   8 bits per pixel, from a pallette of 24 bits (16M+ colors)
   pretty much like the standard mac II series adaptors with
   8 bit color.
2) there is also a 16 bit/pixel mode, which allows 5 bits of red, green,
   and blue, in a direct mapped to screen mode, allowing 32768 colors
   from a pallette of 32768.
3) With the Mac LC color monitor you get basically same resolution as
   a mac Plus or mac classic, but the pixel depth and pallette depth
   remain the same as above.

Is this correct?  Seems so from the messages I got.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/10/91)

Picture, if you will, the 9" screen of a Mac SE (or Plus, or Classic, or
what have you) blown up to 12" with 256 colors.  It's the same resolution,
larger moniter and color.

BUT, you can add more video ram for even more colors (forget what the
actual number is...isn't it 18bpp?).

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       RealWorld: Sean Cunningham
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil     Voice: (512) 992-2810
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com        ____________________________________
                                    // | * All opinions  expressed herein |
  HELP KEEP THE COMPETITION UNDER \X/  |   Copyright 1991 VISION GRAPHICS |

cfejm@ux1.cts.eiu.edu (John Miller) (04/10/91)

In article <8489@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Picture, if you will, the 9" screen of a Mac SE (or Plus, or Classic, or
>what have you) blown up to 12" with 256 colors.  It's the same resolution,
>larger moniter and color.

Well, close.  The 12" color is 512x384, the standard 9" is 512x342, as
I remember, give or take a few pixels.

My own feeling is that the 12" color resolution is far inferior in its
coarseness to the larger 640x480 systems.  Anybody seen the less-
expensive-than-Apple's monitors from Jasmine or Ehman yet?