[comp.sys.mac.misc] DBase Mac

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (04/08/91)

MacExpress is offering DBase-Mac, originally priced around $250, for
$59. Anyone know the why of the big price cut?

Comments on the quality and utility of the product are also welcome.

c60c-4iu@web-4f.berkeley.edu (Gary Arnold) (04/09/91)

Can anyone out there please give me some information on dBase Mac?  For
example, is it equivalent to dBase IV?  III? II (:-()?  How
similar/different is it to/from dBase for the IBM?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Gary Arnold
c60c-4iu@web.berkeley.edu

schitre@euler.claremont.edu (04/10/91)

In article <HESKETT.91Apr7144932@polymnia.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
> MacExpress is offering DBase-Mac, originally priced around $250, for
> $59. Anyone know the why of the big price cut?
>
> Comments on the quality and utility of the product are also welcome.

	The last couple of times I saw deals like this the manufacturer was
coming out with a new version and would not take back the copies of the old
one the distributor already had. So, the distributor cuts losses by selling
them really cheap. As a registered user you can buy the upgrade for less
than half the money you save.
	You get a good deal on the software, and they get some money of out
it to recoupe their expenses. As for the product itself, I've used in and
in its field it's a lot better than a spreadsheet trying to emulate a data-
base package. However it's not particularly easy to learn (you'll definitely
need the manuals) and generating reports and forms can be pretty slow if
they're long.
	If you have a fast machine (030 based w/ co-processor) then you'll
be fine on that count. The database I created required customer records,
which were no big deal, and sales records, which were a real pain. If you
want the program to check the sales item numbers against a database of items
and then automatically insert the price you could be working a long time,
even though there's an example of how to do it in the book.
	It's a decent program, and for only $59 it's worth the deal.

	Sunil

sacha@bernina.ethz.ch (Sacha Kalchofner) (04/10/91)

Look for another program... dBase Mac is just too slow etc.

hoepfner@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Patrick Hoepfner) (04/11/91)

   I just finished reading about a run-time version of Dbase IV 1.1 for the
Mac.  This means that you can run and debug you Dbase IV 1.1 programs from
the PC.

   It doesn't have a mac front end *yet* but then again, those who want
to run Dbase IV on a mac can't be too interested in appearances :-)

     /    Patrick Hoepfner       |    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center    \
    / America Online: PatrickH9  | Internet: hoepfner@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov \