[comp.sys.mac.misc] Specification for communicating with Sharp Wizard?

kayvan@satyr.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan) (04/08/91)

Does anyone know the specs for communicating with the Sharp Wizard?

I have both the OZ7000 and the OZ8200 models of the wizard. I have a
hypercard stack on the Mac (the Wizard Mac Link from Sharp) that deals
with the OZ7000 but it would need to be extended to deal with the
OZ8000/OZ8200 additions (Outliner, Business Cards, etc.).

My intent is to create a simple and fast program to download and
upload the data (I have no need for the hypercard features) to and
from the Mac. I could then do backups of the Wizards on the Mac in
about a tenth of the time it takes for HyperCard to do its work (the
``Hyper'' is not for speed).

Can anyone help with this?

By the way, the OZ8200 is a quantum leap improvement in the Wizards!!!

			---Kayvan
--
| Kayvan Sylvan          Consulting/Training              879 Lewiston Drive |
| Sylvan Associates      Unix and Mac Programming         San Jose, CA 95136 |

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) (04/09/91)

In article <KAYVAN.91Apr7144458@satyr.UUCP>, kayvan@satyr.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>Does anyone know the specs for communicating with the Sharp Wizard?
>
>I have both the OZ7000 and the OZ8200 models of the wizard. I have a
>hypercard stack on the Mac (the Wizard Mac Link from Sharp) that deals
>with the OZ7000 but it would need to be extended to deal with the
>OZ8000/OZ8200 additions (Outliner, Business Cards, etc.).
>
>My intent is to create a simple and fast program to download and
>upload the data (I have no need for the hypercard features) to and
>from the Mac. I could then do backups of the Wizards on the Mac in
>about a tenth of the time it takes for HyperCard to do its work (the
>``Hyper'' is not for speed).
>
>Can anyone help with this?
>
>By the way, the OZ8200 is a quantum leap improvement in the Wizards!!!

I obtained the specifications from Sharp. I can't find my notes from the call,
but I had to call about 3 times to different numbers before getting the right
number. I have the documentation at home, so if you can't find the number, I'll
try to post what I can tommorrow.

I have been playing with writing some code to interface to the 8200 as well,
but I have been thinking of doing it in C++/MacApp. Anyone who is interested in
such a project, let me know. I have a lot of experience with hardware
interfacing, so I could write a set of objects that would take care of
initializing themselves from disk or the link, and saving themselves, and then
others could write some methods for editing. I would probably use the iostreams
approach, so it would be fairly easy to extend.

/sig

Jeff E Mandel MD MS
Asst. Professor of Anesthesiology
Tulane University School of Medicine
New Orleans, LA
mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu

fozzy@cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) (04/11/91)

mandel@vax.anes.tulane.edu (Jeff E Mandel MD MS) writes:

>In article <KAYVAN.91Apr7144458@satyr.UUCP>, kayvan@satyr.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan) writes:
>>Does anyone know the specs for communicating with the Sharp Wizard?
>>
>I obtained the specifications from Sharp. I can't find my notes from the call,
>but I had to call about 3 times to different numbers before getting the right
>number. I have the documentation at home, so if you can't find the number, I'll
>try to post what I can tommorrow.

Sometime ago someone posted to comp.sys.handhelds a program for connecting a
Sharp Wizard to a Unix box.  I saved this so if that would be of help let me
know and I'll post it.  I would think it would just be a matter of modifying
the low level serial IO stuff to get it to work (and maybe adding code for
other interface cards).

Apart from this, any info on the specs of the interface I'd be greatly
interested in.  Especially things that will allow you to do non-standard
things with it.