[comp.sys.mac.misc] How well was the original 128K Mac connected

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (04/11/91)

Suppose I have a Mac running system 7.0.  I know that in system 7 every
Mac can act as an AppleShare server.  Suppose I also have an original
128K Mac connected to the first one with AppleTalk.  Will the 128K Mac
be able to access files on the system 7 equiped Mac?  Was that implemented
in the first system software?  I don't care about running the same
applications, just file storage.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    University of Michigan AI Lab
Phone: (313)763-1255               |    Room 149, Advanced Technology Bldg.
Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (04/12/91)

In article <ARIE.91Apr10163824@dip.eecs.umich.edu> arie@eecs.umich.edu writes:
>Suppose I have a Mac running system 7.0.  I know that in system 7 every
>Mac can act as an AppleShare server.  Suppose I also have an original
>128K Mac connected to the first one with AppleTalk.  Will the 128K Mac
>be able to access files on the system 7 equiped Mac?  Was that implemented
>in the first system software?  I don't care about running the same
>applications, just file storage.

The original Macintosh (128) was never able to run AppleTalk very well.
It just didn't have the memory to do the network tasks and run any
applications as well. There were actually a few networking applications
(anyone remember bus'dout?) but those generally had appletalk built in.
The 512K Mac was the first to really support AppleTalk. Using a 512K as
a client to a larger Mac running System 7 is quite viable; in fact I use
that setup at present.

It is still quite possible to upgrade a 128 to a 512K without spending
too much. Note, though that you really do need the 128K ROMs that were
part of the Apple 512KE upgrade since the Appleshare Server uses HFS.

Come to think of it, with the low prices for used 512KEs, that might be
a cheaper solution...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib