[comp.sys.mac.misc] Email connectivity and the Mac

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (04/09/91)

Here at work, we have a LAN containing MAC II's, MS-DOS 386 boxes, and
an IBM AS/400.  I've been toying with the idea of somehow getting
the three to talk to one another so that users on each platform can
exchange files and email.  Is there a reay made program which can
handle this that runs on all 3 platforms?

Also, if the program can handle Japanese characters it would
be ideal, but this is not a "written in stone" requirement.

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Show me the way to the
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |next whiskey bar...
mpoint%cmm1@uu.psi.com        |-The Doors-

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.200539.9734@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> Here at work, we have a LAN containing MAC II's, MS-DOS 386 boxes, and
> an IBM AS/400.  I've been toying with the idea of somehow getting
> the three to talk to one another so that users on each platform can
> exchange files and email.  Is there a reay made program which can
> handle this that runs on all 3 platforms?

We use the Post Office Protocol (POPMail) here.  It comes from Univ of
Minnesota.  E-mail me if you want their address.  By the way, I will see
your e-mail from the internet with POPMail.

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (04/12/91)

Well, I've gotten a few replies about mixing email on VMS/MacOS/MD-DOS.
While some people were somewhat enthusiastic, the vast majority of
replies said that there really is no user-friendly alternative.

I've seen Microsoft Mail in action and it seems the best option for
a PC.  Is there any way, short of being a Microsoft employee, of getting
the format of the messages and writing a small custom program to deal
with it on the AS/400 side?

I'm confused. :-)  Any information from someone experienced in setting up
an email system would be greatly appreciated.  Hehe, I'm actually doing this
as a favor to our systems department since I'm "supposed" to be a financial
analyst. :-)

Cheers,

Chris