[comp.sys.mac.misc] Modem for the Mac Classic

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (04/10/91)

I'm looking for a modem for my Mac Classic. Nothing fancy, just your
basic modem. I've narrowed my search to the SupraModem 2400e
(external). I'm interested in comments about the quality of this
product and how well it works with the Mac Classic.

vkwx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.130341.29120@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
> I'm looking for a modem for my Mac Classic. Nothing fancy, just your
> basic modem. I've narrowed my search to the SupraModem 2400e
> (external). I'm interested in comments about the quality of this
> product and how well it works with the Mac Classic.

I don't know anything about the SupraModem, but I just bought Global Village's
TelePort 2400 baud modem for my SE/30 and it works very well. It plugs into
your ADB (keyboard/mouse) port, and it has MNP class 4 and 5 error correction.
It is quite inexpensive--you can get it for about $130 mail-order.

Ed Swierk

mings@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.144032.3965@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> vkwx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.130341.29120@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
>hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>> I'm looking for a modem for my Mac Classic. Nothing fancy, just your
>> basic modem. I've narrowed my search to the SupraModem 2400e
>> (external). I'm interested in comments about the quality of this
>> product and how well it works with the Mac Classic.
>
>I don't know anything about the SupraModem, but I just bought Global Village's
>TelePort 2400 baud modem for my SE/30 and it works very well. It plugs into
>your ADB (keyboard/mouse) port, and it has MNP class 4 and 5 error correction.
>It is quite inexpensive--you can get it for about $130 mail-order.
>
>Ed Swierk

I don't think the Teleport suits John's need, since the Classic has only
one ADB port, not 2, and the Teleport has only 1 ADB connector too.  If he
wants to use the Teleport with his Classic, then he must not has the mouse
connected, or buy another pointing device which has 2 ADB connectors, or
find a way to split the Classic ADB port into 2.

Speaking of the SupraModem, IMHO, it's not bad.  I am using one with my
good old Plus for over 3 years, so far everything is o.k.  The best thing
I like about it is its small footprint and front on-off switch.  However,
its price seems a little bit higher when comprare with other vanilla 2400
baud modems in current market (mony of the 2400 baud modems have priced
under $100, some even include comm. software).

Just my $0.02.
   Ming Yau So                        |       <<< This area     >>>
   Internet: mings@cs.uoregon.edu     |       <<< intentionally >>>
   AOL: Ming So                       |       <<< left blank    >>>

vkwx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.075043.17985@cs.uoregon.edu>,
mings@geriatrix.cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) writes:
> I don't think the Teleport suits John's need, since the Classic has only
> one ADB port, not 2, and the Teleport has only 1 ADB connector too.  If he
> wants to use the Teleport with his Classic, then he must not has the mouse
> connected, or buy another pointing device which has 2 ADB connectors, or
> find a way to split the Classic ADB port into 2.
>
> Speaking of the SupraModem, IMHO, it's not bad.  I am using one with my
> good old Plus for over 3 years, so far everything is o.k.  The best thing
> I like about it is its small footprint and front on-off switch.  However,
> its price seems a little bit higher when comprare with other vanilla 2400
> baud modems in current market (mony of the 2400 baud modems have priced
> under $100, some even include comm. software).
>
> Just my $0.02.

The TelePort comes with a Y-connector for the ADB port, so you can plug your
keyboard into it and your mouse into your keyboard. Actually, the most
attractive feature of it is the price ($130). Other than that, it's your
average 2400-baud MNP modem.

Ed Swierk