[comp.sys.mac.misc] Finder replacement: dir *.ext

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (04/11/91)

	Is there a finder replace in the PD/Shareware arena which allows you
to do something like

	dir *.ext (on Vax) or ls *.ext (on Unix)

which list all the files with a certain extension?  Thanks in advance.

Ida

bernard@cs.colorado.edu (Bernie Bernstein) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.090841.1@csc.anu.edu.au>, inm501@csc.anu.edu.au writes:

> 	Is there a finder replace in the PD/Shareware arena which allows you
> to do something like
>
> 	dir *.ext (on Vax) or ls *.ext (on Unix)
>
> which list all the files with a certain extension?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Ida

In 7.0, you can do a "Find" from the finder.  Do do the above query,
I would "Find and select items whose" [name] [ends with] .ext

Where I have [name] you can also have size, kind, label, date modified, etc.
Where I have [ends with] you can also have contains, starts with, is, etc.
For each of the first level (name, kind, size), the second level
has different options.

If you click the "all at once" check box, then all of the found files
will be selected simultaneously.  If it is not checked, it will show
the first instance found and you can skip to the next one with "Find Next".

Any day now...

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-8136                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@cs.colorado.edu        | /        ''  \