[comp.sys.mac.misc] Tetris for the Mac

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (04/10/91)

Ok, here's the situation:

The guy who lives next door to me has a Mac.  We play alot of Spectrum
Holobyte's Tetris.  I always kick his butt.  I had the top scores (near
10,000) and he never even got close.

Today, I noticed that his girlfriend was unusually enthusiastic about showing
me the high scores on Tetris.  It seems that they have figured a way to
score several thousand points more than any previous games.

How did they do it?  I know they didn't get that much better overnight.  We
always play with the expert option turned off.  Can this make a difference
in the scoring?  What other tricks are there?  I don't think they sector
edited the file (though that is probably how I will get my revenge!).

Email would be appreciated since I can only read so many newsgroups in 24
hours.  Thanks in advance and please skip the comments like "10,000? hell,
I get 50,000 while blindfolded."

-brian

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr10.062806.11518@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:
>Ok, here's the situation:
>
>The guy who lives next door to me has a Mac.  We play alot of Spectrum
>Holobyte's Tetris.  I always kick his butt.  I had the top scores (near
>10,000) and he never even got close.
>
>Today, I noticed that his girlfriend was unusually enthusiastic about showing
>me the high scores on Tetris.  It seems that they have figured a way to
>score several thousand points more than any previous games.
>
>How did they do it?  I know they didn't get that much better overnight.

I don't know how they did it, but here's how you can generate an arbitrarily
high score:  get one of the Mac speed-control INIT's (Speed Chopper works
well) and slow down the Mac to about 15% of its standard speed.  Given
enough time, even your great-grandmother could score 1,000,000 with
this setup!  (Kind of takes the fun out of it, though :-))

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (04/11/91)

He asked for a reply in e-mail.  Here's a copy of my reply, for general
interest.

In article <1991Apr10.062806.11518@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:
> high scores on Tetris.  It seems that they have figured a way to
> score several thousand points more than any previous games.
>
> How did they do it?

There's a bug which can be exploited, but the easiest way is to just use
ResEdit to alter the "scor" resource.  Score what you can... then type
what you need!

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

pdubois@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul DuBois) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.062806.11518@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) writes:
>Ok, here's the situation:
>
>How did they do it?  I know they didn't get that much better overnight.  We
>always play with the expert option turned off.  Can this make a difference
>in the scoring?  What other tricks are there?  I don't think they sector
>edited the file (though that is probably how I will get my revenge!).

Rest of problem deleted...

>-brian
>
>brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu

There's a very simple way, not using hex editors or machine cripplers...
hit pause, and then the space bar a bunch of times.  "virutal" :) pieces
will fall and give you points upon unpausing, but your game will be left
otherwise untouched.

pdubois@ocf.berkeley.edu