[comp.sys.mac.misc] What are Clips? Where to get them?

hardarso@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) (04/09/91)

I'm sorry to bother you excellent netlanders but:

I just got a letter from my brother-in-law in Europe. He asks me if
I can send him what he calls "Clip-files". He is a cartographer,
uses Free Hand 2.02 on a Mac II CI to do his maps. He figured "Clips"
might spice up his maps and graphs.

I'm not a Mac user so I'm kind of out of it. I dare not refuse his
request since he might molest my sister (just kidding). So I have to
ask:
    1) What are "Clips"?
    2) Where do you go for respectable "Clips", public domain or dealers?
    3) Can anyone recommend Clip-art libraries to me that I can buy, borrow
       or steal? (No, not steal). Preferrably recommendations from someone
       who is doing business graphics and demographic charts.

A million thanks beforehand to whoever responds.

  Kari Hardarson

--

Kari Hardarson         |  Twas brillig and the slithy toves
217 Jackson Circle     |  did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/11/91)

hardarso@weiss.cs.unc.edu (Kari Hardarson) writes:

>I'm sorry to bother you excellent netlanders but:

>I just got a letter from my brother-in-law in Europe. He asks me if
>I can send him what he calls "Clip-files". He is a cartographer,

>    1) What are "Clips"?
>    2) Where do you go for respectable "Clips", public domain or dealers?
>    3) Can anyone recommend Clip-art libraries to me that I can buy, borrow
>       or steal? (No, not steal). Preferrably recommendations from someone
>       who is doing business graphics and demographic charts.

1) Must be clip art.  Those Europeans hate to use Ameri-talk.
2) & 3)  There is a ton of clip art in the public domain and from dealers.

   Try Budget-Bytes or EduCrop for Pay-For-Freeware stuff (i.e. they
   charge $5 a disk or so for copies of freeware/shareware.

   Try the Sumex archives - they are free but you can't see before you
   get them.

   Commercial sources - Look through a MacWarehouse or MacConnection
   catalog and you will see many packages for sale.  My favorites
   are the CD-ROM variety as they tend to be cheaper per clip and
   a bit easier to access than a slew of floppies.  Then again you
   will need a CD-ROM player.....

Enjoy!
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (04/12/91)

In my MacWarehouse catalog, I see "ArtClips", which is a four-disk collection
of EPS art. Maybe that is what is being referred to as "Clips"? There is
also an EPS clip-art package called "Cliptures" which might be what was
referred to.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)