[comp.sys.mac.misc] Postscript Problems: Summary

ndg503@csc.anu.edu.au (Nick Guoth) (04/12/91)

Hi all,

This has been a long time coming and I duly apologize. I saw that a
similar problem was being asked by Tim in a posting not so long ago.

Well here are all the responses that I have received re my question
about editing/printing with a Postscript file. For those who
have forgotten the question, here it is:

>Hi
>
>Question 1:
>I have a postcript problem that someone might be able to help me with.
>One of our students is using a Silicon Graphics (unix) machine. He
>generates a postcript file and then transfers it to the mac in
>ASCII format.
>
>What he would like to do is to edit and print this file. Now we
>know that we could use Illustrator or Freehand, which will allow the
>editing and saving as an ecapsulated postscript file. The trouble is
>that both these programs cost to much.
>
>Does anyone know of a good program or method that will allow editing
>and printing of postscript files for the mac? Are there any methods
>using Binary files?
>
>Question 2:
>Is there any program on the Mac that will allow a user to input a
>postscript command file and generate a plot or picture so that this
>could be modified in a draw or paint program? The postscript files
>were actually generated on a VAX.
>
>ta,
>
>nick
>ndg503@csc.anu.edu.au
>"Happiness is a piece of fudge caught on the first bounce" - Snoopy

    And here are the responses:

 From: ericd@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU (Eric W. Douglas)

 The problem with editing or viewing regularrrrr script files on
 the mac is, that macintosh created documents, contain a PICT picture
 resource in the resource fork. This is so the user can view the
 actual picture. These files are called "encapsulated" ps files.

 Your can move an ascii text ps file to a mac, and dump it to
 a laserprinter, but you cannot edit it, unless you have somekind
 of postscript previewer. I have heard that some are available,
 but I can't remember the names.

 hopes this helps-

 Eric W. Douglas                        * internet: ericd@csufres.csufresno.edu
 Dept. of Computer Science              *           ez002644@deneb.ucdavis.edu
 California State University, Fresno    *

 From:	inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (Ida Ma)

 	I thought Cricket Draw have an option of saving the file as a
 postscript file.  Maybe you can check the manual.

 From: smithc@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Christopher Smith)

 An inexpensive idea would be to get a program called The Curator from
 a company called Solutions, Inc.  I'm sure you can find it listed in
 most mail order catalogues or at a Mac dealer.  The Curator will,
 among other things, convert graphics from one format to another.  You
 could take the postscript file from the UNIX system, convert it to
 somethilng like encapsulated postscript, TIFF, or even PICT (if you
 were desperate), edit the file, and then reconvert it to postscript.
 It's an option, depending on the graphics programs already available
 to you.

 The Curator costs around $87 or so, and it works nicely.  I was
 frantically trying to send an image I scanned up to the NeXT computers
 and their high-resolution laser printer here.  The NeXTs didn't like
 my TIFF format graphics, so I eventually came across The Curator,
 converted the file to encapsulated postscript with Image Studio, and
 then converted the graphic to postscript with The Curator.  I uploaded
 the thing to the NeXT, and there was much rejoicing.

 Oh, I should mention this.  The Curator will take pictures in
 MacPaint, PICT, TIFF, and Glue format and convert them to another
 format in that list.  It will also take Mac EPSF, IBM EPSF, and
 postscript files and convert them to any of those seven afore-
 mentioned formats.  You *might* have to upload the file to the Mac in
 a binary format.  Use NCSA Telnet, which supports UNIX's ftp system
 for binary transfers, to accomplish this.

 Hope this helps!

 Christopher A. Smith
 St. Olaf College
 INTERNET:  smithc@thor.acc.stolaf.edu

 From:MBERNAR%ERENJ@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU

 about question 1:  You can edit a postcript file with any text editor like
  Consulair's Edit.  Of course, you have to know how to read postcript to know
  what you're doing.  There is an application SendPS available from Sumex or
  any other servers like PUCC that allows one to send a PS file to a
  LaserWriter.

 Regards,
 Marcelino Bernardo
 bernardo@erevax.bitnet
 mbernar@erenj.bitnet

			-------------------------

    Well, we have ordered The Curator from the US and are still waiting
for its arrival (generally things take about 4 weeks to get here :-( ).
Thanks again to all who responded, and I hope what has been said here
might be of use to some others too. Unfortunately 4 weeks has become more
more like 6 and the item has just arrived. It looks good, but we have not
had enough time to play with it yet.

nick guoth			  ndg503@csc.anu.edu.au
Research School of Chemistry      Computing Unit
Australian National University    Canberra, AUSTRALIA
"Happiness is a piece of fudge caught on the first bounce" - Snoopy