[comp.sys.mac.misc] Whatever Happened to MindWrite

kent@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Kent Borg) (04/11/91)

Since 7.0 has been looming, I have been holding off on buying software
because I want 7.0-Studly applications.

My problem is that MindWrite seems to have become a dead application,
but it is so well done for what it does.  (It supports the extended
keyboard better than any other application I know, and this copy is
dated 1988!)  I do hate a couple of its non-standard command keys,
like cmd-- for closing a window rather than cmd-W, but those gripes
are pretty minor.  When I first got it it was too slow, but they fixed
that with their first major rev.  They also fixed all the other bugs I
had learned to hate.

Since then I have been using it loyally.

Sure, it works just great under 7.0 (as of b4 at least), but I want
more.

My question: Who is responsible for this great application?  What is
that person doing now?  As of 2.17 the "about" box lists: Cary Wyman,
Frank Rabb, Linda Moncrief, and Bill Pryor.  Where are they now?

I want 7.0 features, better spelling checker, more speed, more
standard command keys (but not the Pagemaker/Word garbage), smaller,
and all the other tasteful improvements those smart people would
naturally do.  (Cary, Frank, Linda, and Bill: Write me for some
specifics.)

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (04/12/91)

In article <1932@camex.COM> kent@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Kent Borg) writes:

>My problem is that MindWrite seems to have become a dead application,
>but it is so well done for what it does.  (It supports the extended
>keyboard better than any other application I know, and this copy is
>dated 1988!)

Yeah.  What he said.

MindWrite is (was) a great program.  I use it only occasionally, but
when I go back to it I have no trouble figuring out how to use it; the
grasping hand to grab and move chunks of outline around is very
intuitive and easy.

>I do hate a couple of its non-standard command keys,
>like cmd-- for closing a window rather than cmd-W, but those gripes
>are pretty minor.

This should be very easy to fix, using ResEdit (unless they've done
something really weird--but in other respects they follow the
guidelines well, so I don't expect any problems).  Just edit the MENU
resources and change the command-key equivalents there.  (As always,
try it on a COPY of the program.)

>When I first got it it was too slow, but they fixed
>that with their first major rev.  They also fixed all the other bugs I
>had learned to hate.

Which version do you have?  (I'd like to be sure I have the last version.)

>Since then I have been using it loyally.
>
>Sure, it works just great under 7.0 (as of b4 at least), but I want
>more.

Good.  Glad to hear it.

>My question: Who is responsible for this great application?  What is
>that person doing now?  As of 2.17 the "about" box lists: Cary Wyman,
>Frank Rabb, Linda Moncrief, and Bill Pryor.  Where are they now?

And what are they doing now?  Any more great products?

>I want 7.0 features, better spelling checker, more speed, more
>standard command keys (but not the Pagemaker/Word garbage), smaller,
>and all the other tasteful improvements those smart people would
>naturally do.  (Cary, Frank, Linda, and Bill: Write me for some
>specifics.)

I have a different question.  Has anyone used both MindWrite and Acta?
How do they compare?  (I know Acta is also a DA, but when System 7
gets here, who cares?)  I am more interested in how intuitive the
interface is than I am in fancy features, since my uses are light and
occasional.  Since MindWrite works so well I'm inclined to stick with
it until System 8 kills it, but inquiring minds want to know....

Word.  Don't talk to me about Word.  (With apologies to Marvin.)

>--
>Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
>                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
>"We foolishly did not realize that he was stupid."  - April Glasbie 3-20-91

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |