[comp.sys.mac.misc] Photographing Mac Color Screen

artkuo@elaine4.Stanford.EDU (arthur kuo) (04/10/91)

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I would like to know
if anyone has had luck making slides straight from the screen (in this case,
a SuperMac monitor).  What film, what filter, what settings?  Thanks.

Art Kuo

--
Neuromuscular Systems Laboratory, Stanford University

mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr10.021502.574@leland.Stanford.EDU>, artkuo@elaine4.Stanford
.EDU (arthur kuo) writes:
>I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but I would like to know
>if anyone has had luck making slides straight from the screen (in this case,
>a SuperMac monitor).  What film, what filter, what settings?  Thanks.
>
>Art Kuo

I took pictures of a monochrome mac screen several years ago.  The pictures
turned out crisp, but as with most computer screens, the lines were not
straight.  That is, you will pick up the slight bowing of the screen,
which I found annoying.  However, depending on how good the results need
to be, the bowing may not bother you.  (Try to avoid getting any of the
black border, and the bowing will probably be less obvious.)

About the film, use the slowest film you can tolerate.  Remember
that the screen has a refresh rate of approximately .016 seconds.
So, you want to at least allow enough time for the retrace to make one
full scan of the screen (so everything makes it onto your slide).  If
memory serves me correctly, the shutter speeds are in 1/X sec (where
X is 250, 1000, etc.).  So, you want your shutter to be open at least
1/30 sec.

I don't know about what type of color film would be best.  (If no one
else can provide suggestions, I suggest calling Kodak's 800 number.
They have been very helpful in the past with special developing
situations I have found myself in.)

maria i. lasaga
dept. of psychology
gilmer hall
university of virginia
charlottesville, virginia 22903                  mil@virginia

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.021502.574@leland.Stanford.EDU>
artkuo@elaine4.Stanford.EDU (arthur kuo) writes:
> if anyone has had luck making slides straight from the screen (in this
case,
> a SuperMac monitor).  What film, what filter, what settings?  Thanks.

I use Fujichrome Pro (RDP) 100 and a polarizing filter.  I try to keep the
shutter speed around 1/2 second by adjusting the aperture to compensate
for different lighting situations.  You can bracket the exposures +1, 0,
and -1 if you want, but with the RDP it's usually not neccessary because
the film has pretty good latitude (ie. all three shots should look good).
Good luck.

/Matt

---
Matt Kingman
Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc.
I speak only for myself...

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.050704.20982@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>
mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) writes:
> I took pictures of a monochrome mac screen several years ago.  The
pictures
> turned out crisp, but as with most computer screens, the lines were not
> straight.  That is, you will pick up the slight bowing of the screen,
> which I found annoying.  However, depending on how good the results need
> to be, the bowing may not bother you.  (Try to avoid getting any of the
> black border, and the bowing will probably be less obvious.)

I had this same problem when I was trying to get good screen shots.  The
bowing occurs because the camera is too close to the screen (you probably
were using a 50mm lens).  Switching to an 80mm lens and moving the camera
farther away from the monitor cures the problem.

With respect to shutter speed, 1/30 sec. may seem ok, but you will be
dissapointed with the results.  Usually what you get is a complete screen
shot but with some annoying diagonal hilites and the color saturation is
not great.  I've found that 1/2 sec. produces crisp, clear, and colorful
slides.

/Matt
---