[comp.sys.mac.misc] Four TrueType Fonts placed in ftp archive...

gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/12/91)

	My wonderful fiance (is that one or two "e"s ?), who works at
Compuserve, found 4 TrueType fonts for the downloading: Architect, St.
Francis, Goudy Hundred, and Fleurons.

Architect:	similar to Adobe's Tekton (tm) [my favorite of these]
St. Francis:	A rendering of the old San Francisco font.
Goudy Hundred:	A mostly decorative serif typeface.
Fleurons:	Lots of little flower things.

	I've stuffed them into StuffIt 1.5.1 archives, binhexed them,
and placed them in the incoming directory of mac.archive.umich.edu.
Each archive includes a ReadMe in TeachText format, the TrueType
suitcase, various bitmap sizes of the fonts, and a IBM-format TrueType
file (Windows 3.1?  Ack!).  Fleurons also includes an EPSF file that
shows all the little flower-things in the font-set.  <shrug>

	Please note that I'm interested in any other PD/SW TrueType
fonts that are available, and would -love- to speak to anyone who has
Metamorphisis, FontMonger, or some other Type 1 -> TrueType conversion
utility.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1         + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.131846.27155@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	I've stuffed them into StuffIt 1.5.1 archives, binhexed them,
>and placed them in the incoming directory of mac.archive.umich.edu.

	Yes, yes, I know that you can't ftp from that directory yet.
Stop sending me email about it.  And no, I won't email you a copy.
Sorry if that sounds cold, but I thought I was being nice enough just
trying to make these things available - one of the other people I have
spoken to on the Net actually found some fonts on GEnie after asking
around, but is "too busy" to binhex them and send them off to an
archive.  :-(

	In the meantime, wait for the archive moderator at umich to
make them available (I sent him email, he knows).  Also, another site
ought to make a post about having them in a little bit (I'm not
posting the address until he's ready).

	If you don't have ftp access, wait until they make their way
over to a mail server archive (yes, I'll send these off to sumex-aim).
If you just -have- to have them right now and can't wait another
moment, suffer.

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1      + "Pooh hasn't much Brain, but he never
 Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES  |  comes to any harm.  He does silly

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/13/91)

I have placed the four truetype fonts on a.cs.uiuc.edu for anonymous ftp access.

They are in the /tmp directory.

You're welcome, mac netheads.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

dplatt@ntg.uucp (Dave Platt) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr12.131846.27155@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>	Please note that I'm interested in any other PD/SW TrueType
>fonts that are available, and would -love- to speak to anyone who has
>Metamorphisis, FontMonger, or some other Type 1 -> TrueType conversion
>utility.

I bought a copy of FontMonger this week (ordered it from MacConnection
the same day they got their first shipment... it's serial number 26!).

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it.  It does a very nice job of
converting both Type 1 and Type 3 PostScript fonts into TrueType format.
The conversion process requires between 30 seconds and two minutes per
font on my IIfx, depending on the complexity of the fonts.  FontMonger
translates Type 1 hints into TrueType hints, and it automatically
generates hinting for Type 3 fonts.  The gentlemen at Ares to whom I
spoke said something on the order of "If you convert a Type 1 font to
TrueType, and print them out, I don't believe you'd be able to see any
difference."

FontMonger also allows one to customize a font.  You can rearrange
characters, create composite characters, and perform some basic scaling
and shearing operations on individual characters (or create new font-
styles which apply a transformation to all characters in the base
style).  You cannot, however, edit the outlines or hints of the
individual characters.

FontMonger's user interface is quite functional and is in general easy
to use.  It has one definite quirk that I'm not so crazy about... font
selection (suitcase file, individual font, and style) is implemented
using a movable dialog box which _looks_ like Standard File, but isn't.

This has two disadvantages:  [1] it uses a System 6 standard-file
layout, and doesn't track the changes to this interface in System 7, and
[2] all of the wonderful Standard File accelerators such as Super
Boomerang, HFS Navigator, Shortcut, SFVol INIT, and so forth are
_completely_ inert, absent, and nonfunctional in this dialog!  This is
seriously annoying... especially when one attempts to use the "Create
batch" command to bulk-convert a whole bunch of fonts from within
different folders... one must navigate from one place to another via the
Smith Barney method (the old-fashioned way ;-).  Bummer.  I'm going to
write Ares a note about this...

Also... the program doesn't do an effective job of converting stroked
Type 3 fonts into either Type 1 or TrueType... the letters come out
filled with solid black.  The manual warns that this is the case, and
suggests contacting the author/publisher of the font for an outline
version.  It would be nice if the converter would put up a dialog box
warning that the font was in stroke format (I assume that this is
possible, but I don't know for sure).

So far, I've converted to TrueType format a whole bunch of PD/shareware
Type 1 display and text fonts I downloaded from the DTP Exchange BBS,
and a half-dozen Type 3 fonts from the BMUG CD-ROM.  Results have been
good... I particularly like the freeware Thomas font (which resembles an
older style hot-metal typefont).

I've also played around with FontMonger's ability to create a new font,
and import EPS files generated by Freehand and Illustrator into
individual character-slots.  Results have been mixed, depending on the
quality and format of the EPS image... once again, stroked images look
bad, and well-formatted outlined images can look very nice indeed.

All in all, I consider FontMonger to be a good-to-excellent value ($99
list;  I paid $63 plus shipping), especially for a first release.  It
hasn't crashed or burped or done anything inurbane during the time I've
used it.  The startup dialog-box is almost worth the price of admission
alone.

--

Hmmm... I may be letting myself in for a deluge of work, but I'll make
an offer (good until rescinded)... I'll use my copy of FontMonger to

Here's how I'd prefer to go about it:  if you have such a font and would
like to have it converted, send me an email message (NOT the font
itself!) to me at "dplatt@snulbug.mtview.ca.us".  Tell me the name and
size of the font, and its status (public domain, freeware, shareware...
I will _not_ accept or convert commercial fonts).

If I haven't already received a copy of this font (or have it on disk)
I'll ask you to send it to me (the complete font... PostScript files,
Font/DA Mover bitmaps, documentation, shareware notices, etc... the
whole kit & kaboodle).  I'll mong up a TrueType version, merge it into
the original distribution, and send the whole thing back to the
submitter, as well as to the moderators of an archive or two.

The first person to offer a specific font to me (as dated by the
message's arrival on my system) will get the converted font back via
email.  Everyone else will have to dig it off of an archive or BBS
somewhere... I don't want to overwhelm my domain-server site with
zillions of copies of individual fonts.

--
Dave Platt                                                VOICE: (415) 813-8917
                    UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt