[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7.0 Chooser

moyman@ecn.purdue.edu (Mike Moya) (04/12/91)

The system 7.0 Chooser has no username field!!!! We/ECN/I have spent 2 years
developing LaserWriter accounting software (that works wonderfully right now I
might add). However, how can my (how can *ANY*) accounting software work
without a username/choosername associated with a print job. This can't be
right! I must need to toggle something to get it to appear and just can't find
it, right?

Somebody who knows how to make the choosername field come back please let me
know. This is just a bad nightmare, right? This can't be happening...

Mike Moya
Purdue University
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University

bskendig@set.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.194249.7477@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> moyman@ecn.purdue.edu writes:
>The system 7.0 Chooser has no username field!!!! We/ECN/I have spent 2 years
>developing LaserWriter accounting software (that works wonderfully right now I
>might add). However, how can my (how can *ANY*) accounting software work
>without a username/choosername associated with a print job. This can't be
>right! I must need to toggle something to get it to appear and just can't find
>it, right?
>
>Somebody who knows how to make the choosername field come back please let me
>know. This is just a bad nightmare, right? This can't be happening...

It's still there!  It's just relocated -- to the Sharing Setup control
panel.  Myself, I'm glad they moved it; people at this university kept
opening the Chooser on public Macs that were supposed to have specific
Chooser names, typing their own name into the Chooser, then connecting
to file servers.  Why, I'll never figure out...

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't HAVE the work to *do* -- I don't DO the work I *have*."

moyman@ecn.purdue.edu (Mike Moya) writes:

>The system 7.0 Chooser has no username field!!!! We/ECN/I have spent 2 years
>developing LaserWriter accounting software (that works wonderfully right now I
>might add). However, how can my (how can *ANY*) accounting software work
>without a username/choosername associated with a print job. This can't be
>right! I must need to toggle something to get it to appear and just can't find
>it, right?

Try looking in the "Sharing Setup" CDEV.

--
Chuq Von Rospach  >=<  chuq@apple.com  >=<  GEnie: CHUQ  >=<  AppleLink: CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended reading: MEN AT WORK by George Will; XENOCIDE by Orson
Scott Card (with reservations, August); GOBLIN MOON  by Teresa Edgerton;
BONE DANCE by Emma Bull (May)

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.194249.7477@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> moyman@ecn.purdue.edu writes:
>The system 7.0 Chooser has no username field!!!! We/ECN/I have spent 2 years
>developing LaserWriter accounting software (that works wonderfully right now I
>might add). However, how can my (how can *ANY*) accounting software work

Ok, cool down and relax. Look at the Control Panel "Network Setup".
You can give the name of the user AND the name of the machine. Nice,
isn't it ?

Don't forget to use these informations in a clean way (ie
don't bestialy read the string in th system, but gently ask
Gestalt to do it for you (see the appropriate chapter of IM VI).

Arno.
--
  / Arnaud Gourdol.      // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (04/14/91)

In article <51455@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> Try looking in the "Sharing Setup" CDEV.

There's no such thing in System 7.

Oh, there is a Sharing Setup control panel... perhaps that's what you meant :)

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.