[comp.sys.mac.misc] Editing DSATs

swansond@cube05.csus.edu (Dennis Swanson) (04/15/91)

(many levels of quotations mercifully butchered from the following)

In article <1991Apr8.134459.30976@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) writes:
>
>>However, I still have yet to find the location of the "drawn Mac" used in
>>the Welcome to Macintosh screen.  It certainly isn't in MY system file.
>
>>What kind of mac do you have anyway?  Perhaps they aren't in your version
>>of the ROM.
>>______________________________________________________________________________
>>Donald Burr; Univ of California, Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
>>INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071____________
>>

>I know about this one:
>
>There is a program out there that will let you edit your startup, bomb, and
>disk request ICONS and messages, I cant recall it's name, but it's probable
>that it's on sumex.
>
>+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
>| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
>+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
>| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
>| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
>+-------------------------------------+

The name of this beast is IconExchanger (3.0, I think). It basically allows
you to edit the DSAT resource in your system file w/out having to open up
Inside Mac and look up the formats of the various resources stored therein
and count bytes. I played this game a bit when I was investigating changing
the welcome message to a message longer than the original, but decided that
it wasn't worth my effort.

        Den

   /Dennis M. Swanson --> swansond@csus.edu         /   "He was as calm as a/
  /Macintosh Lab Assistant/Computer Science Student/   Perry Como groupie."/
 /University Computing and Communications Services/       -- Sledge Hammer/
/California State University, Sacramento         /"Harness the Macpower!"/