[comp.sys.mac.misc] Nisus vs MS Word

cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) (04/09/91)

I agree.  I bought Nisus recently after using MS Word for years, and I
love it.  The graphics capabilties are wonderful, as are the unlimited
undos and such.  The best thing is the option-drag rectangle select...its
SUCH a great thing that I've never seen in a WP before.  I got Nisus 3.04
(just receive upgrade to 3.05 in the mail) for $99 as a student (full
version, full manual) and I'm very happy with it.

MS Word ain't bad, but as a person who works with graphics and page
layouta lot, Nisus wins.

-Scott

-[ Scott E. Mandell ]------------------------------------------------
-[ (607) 256 - 4217 ] Voice, 9AM-11PM EST 7 Days a Week
-[ (607) 256 - 0200 ] BBS, 24 Hrs, 14.4k V.32/32bis/42/42bis/FAX
-[ Ithaca, New York ]------------------------------------------------

rolf@sparc1 (Rolf Wilson) (04/10/91)

cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) writes:

>undos and such.  The best thing is the option-drag rectangle select...its
>SUCH a great thing that I've never seen in a WP before.  I got Nisus 3.04

  If I understand you correctly, MS Word has the same feature. By
holding down the option key while dragging over a rectangle, you can
select such things as the third column of numbers (which you can then
sort on, or whatever).
--

Rolf Wilson   Illinois State Geological Survey   rolf@sparc1.isgs.uiuc.edu

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (04/10/91)

In article <PXJ6Z2w162w@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us>, cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) writes...
>undos and such.  The best thing is the option-drag rectangle select...its
>SUCH a great thing that I've never seen in a WP before.  I got Nisus 3.04

Word will do rectangle select with option-drag. Nothing new under the sun
 there. :-)

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.132920.18999@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rolf@sparc1 (Rolf Wilson) writes:
>>undos and such.  The best thing is the option-drag rectangle select...its
>>SUCH a great thing that I've never seen in a WP before.  I got Nisus 3.04

> If I understand you correctly, MS Word has the same feature. By
> holding down the option key while dragging over a rectangle, you can
> select such things as the third column of numbers (which you can then
> sort on, or whatever).

No RTFM flames, please; I sold my copy of Word so I can't look this
up. I'm curious, is this vertical selection a documented feature in
Word? I don't recall seeing it when I read the Word manuals a couple
of years ago.
Brad Hedstrom                Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                   Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA                     (a.k.a. Brazil North)
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-visions,ubc-cs}!sirius.UVic.CA!hedstrom
"A no smoking section in a restaurant is as effective
 as a no chlorine section in a swimming pool."

ae219fl@prism.gatech.EDU (TSUNG,FU-LIN) (04/11/91)

In article <HEDSTROM.91Apr10133749@jacob.UVic.CA> hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes:

>No RTFM flames, please; I sold my copy of Word so I can't look this
>up. I'm curious, is this vertical selection a documented feature in
>Word? I don't recall seeing it when I read the Word manuals a couple
>of years ago.
>--

   Yes.  there might be other ways, but if you click the lower RH corner,
than shift-click the upper LF corner, it will select that block of column.

  One thing Word 4.0 can NOT do is non contiguous selection, which I find
very very useful.

--
Fu-Lin Tsung
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ae219fl

In article <HEDSTROM.91Apr10133749@jacob.UVic.CA> hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad  Hedstrom) writes:
>In article <1991Apr10.132920.18999@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rolf@sparc1 (Rolf Wilson) writes:
>>>undos and such.  The best thing is the option-drag rectangle select...its
>>>SUCH a great thing that I've never seen in a WP before.  I got Nisus 3.04
>
>> If I understand you correctly, MS Word has the same feature. By
>> holding down the option key while dragging over a rectangle, you can
>> select such things as the third column of numbers (which you can then
>> sort on, or whatever).
>
>No RTFM flames, please; I sold my copy of Word so I can't look this
>up. I'm curious, is this vertical selection a documented feature in
>Word? I don't recall seeing it when I read the Word manuals a couple
>of years ago.

It's in version 4.0 docs.

mo@well.sf.ca.us (Maurice Weitman) (04/12/91)

cavalier@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (Scott Mandell) writes:

;I agree.  I bought Nisus recently after using MS Word for years, and I
;love it.  [...] The best thing is the option-drag rectangle select...its
;SUCH a great thing that I've never seen in a WP before.

That's funny.  Option-drag rectangle select has been a Word
feature for years, since at least 3.0, maybe earlier.

--
Maurice Weitman  mo@well.sf.ca.us  ..!{hplabs,pacbell,apple,ucbvax}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe  1634 Walnut  Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "Facts are stupid things."  Ronald Wilson Reagan, New Orleans, 1988
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (04/15/91)

I posted the original Word vs. Nisus article, and noted that Nisus has
option-drag to select a rectangle of text.  In context, a reasonable
implication was that Word does not.  So I guess I started this thread.

It turns out that both word processors DO have this feature.  I just
happened to stumble across it in Nisus, and I had not previously come
across it in Word.  It appears to work the same in both.

A little experimentation suggests that this feature is not powerful
enough to build tables; at least, not without additional formatting
(inserting tabs, etc.).  Probably some good macros could help.

In any event, I've sold Word and ordered Nisus (it hasn't arrived yet
:-( ), so I won't be in a position to make any further comparisions.
However, if working with Nisus changes or augments any of my opinions,
I'll certainly post.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)  I don't speak for my employer. --
|   When I was young, my family bought a color TV.  Our neigbors, who   |
| were poorer, had only a black-and-white set.  They bought a piece of  |
| cellophane, red on top, yellow in the middle, and blue on the bottom, |
| and taped it over their screen, so they could claim that they had a   |
| color TV, too.                                                        |
|   Now there's Windows 3.0.                                            |