[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to get Truetype?

kim@feynman.valid.com (Kim Helliwell) (04/16/91)

I've been reading about TrueType both in this group and in the mags, but
how do you get it?  I called my dealer and he says basically the only
way to get it under 6.0.7 is buy a StyleWriter.  But I've been reading
articles from people that claim to be using TT with their DeskWriters.

Is is that these persons are rich enough to afford both types of printers?
We poorer folks simply have to wait for 7.0?

Kim

"Never let work interfere with your reasons for working."

Kim Helliwell

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (04/16/91)

In article <363@valid.valid.com> kim@feynman.valid.com (Kim Helliwell) writes:
>I've been reading about TrueType both in this group and in the mags, but
>how do you get it?  I called my dealer and he says basically the only
>way to get it under 6.0.7 is buy a StyleWriter.  But I've been reading
>articles from people that claim to be using TT with their DeskWriters.
>
>Is is that these persons are rich enough to afford both types of printers?
>We poorer folks simply have to wait for 7.0?
>
>Kim
>

>"Never let work interfere with your reasons for working."
>
>Kim Helliwell

FTP to apple.com (that's 130.43.2.2 for those of you with ignorant name
servers like mine).  When prompted to give your user name, type 'anonymous'
(without the quotes, of course :).  You can give any password you want.
Then type 'cd pub/dts/sw.license' and 'dir' to see all of the goodies before
you.  The TrueType font is hiding in stylewriter-install.hqx and also in
personal-lw-ls-install.hqx (the former is smaller).  The TrueType fonts are
in truetype-fonts-1-0.hqx (surprise, surprise! :-).  Type 'get' and the file
name to get any and all of these, and then download them from your host
machine to your Mac.  Once they are on your Mac, de-binhex 'em with Stuffit
and then unstuff them with Stuffit.  Voila!

The only trouble that you might run into is that to install the truetype
fonts into your system, you need Font/DA Mover 4.1 which is *not* available
at apple.com for some stupid reason.  You will have to get this from your
local software dealer.  If, however, you use MasterJuggler or Suitcase II,
you can just load the fonts in the regular way.

Cheers,

Alan

|  Alan R Fry                       |   You know what I hate?                 |
|  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      |   Rhetorical questions.                 |

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (04/16/91)

In article <13430@ur-cc.UUCP>, afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) writes:
>In article <363@valid.valid.com> kim@feynman.valid.com (Kim Helliwell) writes:
>>I've been reading about TrueType both in this group and in the mags, but
>>how do you get it?

>FTP to apple.com ...

>The only trouble that you might run into is that to install the truetype
>fonts into your system, you need Font/DA Mover 4.1 which is *not* available
>at apple.com for some stupid reason.  You will have to get this from your
>local software dealer.  If, however, you use MasterJuggler or Suitcase II,
>you can just load the fonts in the regular way.

	This is not true.  Font/DA Mover is included in the TrueType font
file on apple.com.

  John Price                   | Internet: price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | SPAN:     uclapp::price
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (04/16/91)

Actually, Font/DA Mover 4.1 *is* on apple.com in the file
truetype-fonts-1-0.hqx.

 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu)           *  I hear, and I forget.
Rochester General Hospital/Radiology     *  I see, and I remember.