[comp.sys.mac.misc] Advertising blooper

gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) (04/03/91)

Has anyone noticed in the advertising for mac available in stores,
the particular ad that says "No matter which one you choose,
a Macintosh is a Macintosh is a Macintosh", and which shows an
LC with a screen with the words "Hotel Description" on it;
either the mouse or the keyboard is not connected, since the LC
has only one ADB connector. To connect the mouse, it has to be
plugged into the keyboard, and the keyboard plugged into the adb port
in the rear.

Or was this a prototype with 2 adb connectors?

Just womdering.

gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (04/03/91)

In article <40838@cup.portal.com> gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) writes:
>Has anyone noticed in the advertising...
>[discusses how it appears that LC has two adb connectors since mouse]
>[isn't plugged into keyboard in the ad]

	Well, if you look at that self-same ad, you'll see that, with
the exception of the cable that comes out of each mouse, there are
-no- cables visible.  Normally the ADB plug would stick out enough to
be visible on each of those keyboards.  Nor do you see a monitor cable
on that Radius that hooked up to the IIfx.

	It's pretty common not to have cables visible in ads, except
where absolutely necessary (like the mouse).  They clutter up the
pretty picture.  Think about it - if you saw the mess of cables that
it takes to hook up, say, a VCR or a Nintendo, would it be quite as
attractive?  Style over substance - welcome to marketing...

--
 Jim Gaynor - Systems Analyst 1         + "This is Serious.  He is Lost.
 The Ohio State University ACS-FMS-OCES |  We must begin the Search at once."

rkmossm@PacBell.COM (Richard Mossman) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.153050.21168@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>In article <40838@cup.portal.com> gort@cup.portal.com (george d harrington) writes:

Sorry, I didn't see the start of this thread, so if I am covering old ground,
excuse me.

I saw a great one last night.  I was watching a tape sent to us by the
Nordic Track people.  Imagine this: Executive type sitting at a beautiful
wooden desk in an office the size of my living room (wood shelving from floor
to ceiling, great view, etc.).  Your looking via a quarter view over the left
rear corner of the desk as the Exec. types a few keys on his Mac Plus (??,
must have spent all his money on the desk), then stands up and you see he is
dressed in his EXERCISE TOGS (yeah, right).  As he moves to his right (toward
the Nordic Track), the camera pans around the back of the desk and you see
that there are absolutely NO cables (power cords, anything) attached to the
back of the Mac.  I can only assume that the Nordic Track is used to power
a Nicad charger and the batterys are then inserted into the Mac.

My .sig says it all.
--
Richard K. Mossman  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!rkm
415/823-0974

osh@jhereg.osa.com (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (04/06/91)

Another minor advertisement blooper is in the new WordPerfect ad.  They
show a Macintosh (either a //cx or //ci) with a monitor on top of it.
Unfortunately, the feet for the macintosh had been moved to the side (for
vertical mounting) and therefore are quite visable in the otherwise
impecable photograph.

They must not have any real computer users around when they photograph
these things...

John

--
John M. O'Shaughnessy            osh@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.    Minneapolis, MN

wbrown@beva.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (04/08/91)

And of course there's the adds that one mail order outfit (Mac Connection)
used to run - a picture of a large tractor-trailer rig with "Mac Truck"
on the trailer in very large letters.

The tractor was a Peterbuilt!

Disclaimer:  These opinions are my own and have	    |
    nothing to do with the official policy or the   |  -bill
    management of L.B.L, who probably couldn't      |   wlbrown@lbl.gov
    care less about employees who play with trains. |

zinder2500@engin.umich.edu (Michael Robert Attan) (04/17/91)

I seem to be having a small problem with speed on my Mac Classic.
For some reason, my mac runs applications noticably slower than
either Mac SE's or Mac+'s.  I am currently running system 6.0.7 with
2.5 Megs of RAM.  The extra .5 meg is from an old SE (128 ns chips,
I think)  I checked the speed of various applications (Word, Excell, and a
couple of games) while running no inits, and my classic crawls in comparison.
The only causes of this problem that I could think of are either the old
simms, or an error in system 6.0.7 (I know there are errors with the memory
manager for the si, lc and ci)  Has anyone had any similar speed problems
with a classic?  I'd rather not take the memory out to see if this is the
problem.  Is there a way to "shut off" memory?  Are there any benchmark
programs out there that I can use to get a definative speed check?

Any help/comments/ideas would be very welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Michael Attan

Please send correspondence to     zinder2500@aal.itd.umich.edu
and I will summarize and repost.