[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help!Invisible files in SystemFolder

tschofe@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (martin ric tschofen) (04/16/91)

A friend of mine has a big problem with his Mac.
After his last system crash part of the files in his system folder
vanished, actually he can only find files starting with the letters
a and b.
I saw a topic talking about something similar where a harddrive went berserk
and the person could only see files from a-l.
Somebody I tought wrote a little program that solved the problem.
He is using a SE with a Quantum PS40 and Sys. 6.0.5.
After rebuting he switched off all his inits and cdevs.

Please send email to hill@ucs.indiana.edu as he has no access to the net.
Or re post the solutions.
Thanks in advance.

tschofe@ucs.indiana.edu

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.011051.7788@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, tschofe@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (martin ric tschofen) writes:
> A friend of mine has a big problem with his Mac.
> After his last system crash part of the files in his system folder
> vanished, actually he can only find files starting with the letters
> a and b.
> I saw a topic talking about something similar where a harddrive went berserk
> and the person could only see files from a-l.
> Somebody I tought wrote a little program that solved the problem.
> He is using a SE with a Quantum PS40 and Sys. 6.0.5.
> After rebuting he switched off all his inits and cdevs.
>
> Please send email to hill@ucs.indiana.edu as he has no access to the net.
> Or re post the solutions.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> tschofe@ucs.indiana.edu

Just reinstall the system software.  Pull all of the inits/CDEVs out
(presumably you will have to replace the ones beginning with a & b, but he had
backups, right? :-) )  Boot from a floppy, throw away the system folder on the
quantum and reinstall *6.0.7*.

If this is a thoroughly distastful thought, use resedit to "get info" about the sys files
that are not seen to see if somehow the invisible file checkbox got marked.

--
Rob Dewhirst
Sysop: The MacRocosm BBS - (913) 841-9446 < --Best route

"A computer without a modem is like a sportscar without wheels --
it's fun to sit behind, but it won't take you anywhere!"