[comp.sys.mac.misc] stuffit1.5.1/binhex 4.0

dewhirst@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/17/91)

In article <mferrare.671781222@adelphi.physics.adelaide.edu.au>, mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au (Mark Ferraretto) writes:
> When I use stuffit1.5.1 to unpack binhex files it stuffs up saying unexpected
> EOF.  Any ideas?
>
> --
>        _             Name  : Mark Ferraretto	   Title: Computing Officer
>       \  \           Place : Department of Physics and Mathematical Physics
>  ||     \  \                 University of Adelaide
> ==========>==>==--   Aarnet: mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au

Two possibilities come to mind:

- you didn't get all of the archive and you decoding only the first half or so.
I have run into files via FTP that are like this.  You download the file to
find that it is only part of it.

- there is some screwy text at the beginning or the end of the binhex file
(such as someone's ten-page signature or disclaimer about bugs) that is messing
up the decoder.  Good binhex decoders will ignore everything before the
statement:
(This file must be converted with Binhex 4.0)
and everything after the statement:
end.

I have had problems with sit classic telling me the file is corrupt or in an
unrecognized format when I try to decode a binhex file without removing the
extraneous text.  Also, a would guess that it is not actually and EOF error, but
SIT! just says that because it is stupid.  I have had best success with the real
Binhex 4.0 utility.

--
Rob Dewhirst
Sysop: The MacRocosm BBS - (913) 841-9446 < --Best route

"A computer without a modem is like a sportscar without wheels --
it's fun to sit behind, but it won't take you anywhere!"