[comp.sys.mac.misc] Advertising and the fine print... ;-)

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby))))) (04/17/91)

In the May '91 Macworld, I looked at the Apple ad for printers
on pages 32-33.  Referring to the StyleWriter, the ad says

"Yet it costs just $599*"

...and in the middle of the fine print at the bottom of the page:

"* Prices shown are suggested retail.  But who pays retail anymore?
And speaking of paying, your dealer can even help you arrange financing."

I guess the folks in the advertising department are getting bored...

 ++   C Irby   cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu   cirby@untvax      ++
++  Someday, I'll know all of the answers.  Of course, by  ++
 ++  then I won't understand the questions any more...    ++

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (04/17/91)

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (((((C.Irby))))) writes:
>In the May '91 Macworld, I looked at the Apple ad for printers
>on pages 32-33.  Referring to the StyleWriter, the ad says
>"Yet it costs just $599*"
>
>...and in the middle of the fine print at the bottom of the page:
>
>"* Prices shown are suggested retail.  But who pays retail anymore?
>And speaking of paying, your dealer can even help you arrange financing."
>
>I guess the folks in the advertising department are getting bored...

   The ad copy guys and gals at Apple do this all the time.  During this
   campaign, the first ad for the StyleWriter in the Wall Street Journal
   had the same little tag line.  The next day's ad didn't, so I suppose
   those killjoys at ComputerLand had a cow about the possiblity of losing
   a few hundered bucks in markup off some unsuspecting Mac novice.

   The fine print in Apple's WSJ ads are usually the best part.  I like
   it when a company has the balls to use humor on a bunch of suits that
   are trying oh-so-hard to be "serious."

Don McGregor             | "When transporting a monkey, don't let him take
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  the wheel no matter how much he screeches."