[comp.sys.mac.misc] Communications software & call-waiting

landman@hanami.Eng.Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (04/18/91)

In article <16449@chaph.usc.edu> orly@aludra.usc.edu (Victor Orly) writes:
>I have call-waiting, and always have to dial *70 before using the modem
>to disable call-waiting. Is there any mac-oriented communications software
>out there that will allow me to use call-waiting, inform me of an incoming
>voice call, allow me to put the modem on "hold", talk to who's calling, and
>then return to modem usage, WITHOUT disconnecting the modem transmission?

No, Victor, unfortunately there is not now and never can be any software
which does what you want.  If call waiting is on, any incoming call disrupts
your modem carrier tone and (I think) sends a "break", so the other modem
thinks you hung up.  (If you've ever been talking to someone when they got
a call waiting call, this is the click-pause you heard.)  In a fraction of
a second it has hung up itself and your session is history.  A thoroughly
atrocious piece of system design.  At least you can console yourself with
the thought that it's not just Mac users, but *ALL* modem users who have
to deal with this problem.

When ISDN is available, this *may* get better.  But not until then.  That's
why I don't have call waiting on my phone lines.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	landman@eng.sun.com -or- sun!landman