[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple File Exchanger

dspark@athena.mit.edu (David S Park) (02/25/91)

I was wondering if anybody out there had a binary protocol, such as the one used
in xmodem, for the Apple File Exchange application.  Right now, I only have the
standard text exchange for it but need a binary protocol to move some nontext files from my ibm to my mac while using the Apple File Exchange and my superdrive.
If anybody out there could help me, I would sincerely appreciate it.  My email address is dspark@athena.mit.edu.

				thanx,
				dave park

chouw@galaxy.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (04/17/91)

Hi, I have just got my first Mac -- a LC with 12" mono.  For the money I paid,
I am pretty happy with what I got.

The problem I have right now is that I cannot tranfer an executable from
DOS disk back to the Mac.  I downloaded binhex4.bin to my PC and put it on the
HD floppy.  Than I use the Apple File Exchanger in default mode to translate
that file into Mac format.  However, after the translation, the Mac always take
it as a document file.  Did I miss something?

I am new in the Mac world, any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.

Wen

hades@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Hades) (04/18/91)

chouw@galaxy.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) writes:

>Hi, I have just got my first Mac -- a LC with 12" mono.  For the money I paid,
>I am pretty happy with what I got.

    So, what do you think about the 12" monochrome? I have yet to see one
and have wondered if they are as good as they look on paper. It was my
intention to get the 12" mono with the LC on my desk as I have no real need
for color, but I would have had to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery because our
campus store is out of stock, so I ended up buying the 13" RGB. Now that I
have the color, I need to purchase the 512k VRAM SIMM to at least get 8 bit
and make the monitor choice worth the extra $400.

>The problem I have right now is that I cannot tranfer an executable from
>DOS disk back to the Mac.  I downloaded binhex4.bin to my PC and put it on the
>HD floppy.  Than I use the Apple File Exchanger in default mode to translate
>that file into Mac format. However, after the translation, the Mac always take
>it as a document file.  Did I miss something?

    It had always been my understanding that Apple File Exchange couldn't
translate an executable binary file from one platform to another. The
reason that default mode is there is for things like dbase files which are
universal, TIFF and GIF graphics files and things like this. To be able to
copy a file that was not a datafile of some sort you would need DOS mounter
or Access PC or a program like these that allow you to mount a DOS disk on
the desktop and then you can drag copy anything from one to the other.
However, I wouldn't put too much money on whether or not an IBM .exe file
will actually run as an application on the Mac or vice-versa.

--
-Hades
 Hustler Emeritus, Alpha Theta Co-ed Fraternity