[comp.sys.mac.misc] Calculator C.K.

dvlmon@zeus.cs.umu.se (Mattias Ohlsson) (04/17/91)

Hi!

Does anyone out there know where to get a Calculator Construction Kit
for the Macintosh?
It should be able to use all functions on the HP-48 and Casio 6500.

//Mattias.             |  Life is hard. And then, you die.

christer@cs.umu.se (Christer Ericson) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.135131.8480@cs.umu.se> dvlmon@zeus.cs.umu.se (Mattias Ohlsson) writes:
>Hi!
>
>Does anyone out there know where to get a Calculator Construction Kit
>for the Macintosh?
>It should be able to use all functions on the HP-48 and Casio 6500.
>
>//Mattias.             |  Life is hard. And then, you die.

Why not wait until the project (in which you yourself are involved) have
finished their assignment of writing a calculator construction kit (that's
supposed to be able to create calculators like the HP-48 and the Casio 6500),
since the program will be freeware I'm sure you can have a copy. Besides,
that way you'd avoid any disciplinary reprimands you could have to face
otherwise ;-)

| Christer Ericson                            Internet: christer@cs.umu.se |
| Department of Computer Science, University of Umea, S-90187 UMEA, Sweden |
| "Track 0 sector 0 must *always* load into page 8!" -Krakowicz' first law |

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (04/18/91)

dvlmon@zeus.cs.umu.se (Mattias Ohlsson) writes:

>Hi!

>Does anyone out there know where to get a Calculator Construction Kit
>for the Macintosh?
>It should be able to use all functions on the HP-48 and Casio 6500.

>//Mattias.             |  Life is hard. And then, you die.

Om vi bortser fr}n Christer Ericssons bitska svar om kursuppgifter...

Att g|ra program som emulerar kalkylatorer p} en dator {r som att emulera en
cykel med en bil genom att ta bort motorn och s{tta trampor p} den.

Om du vill ha en "kalkylator" f|r att anv{nda den s} finns det en suver{n
(fast den ser inte ut som en minir{knare): NumberCrunch. Gratis. Smidig.
Numera greppar jag *alltid* efter musen och inte efter minir{knaren n{r jag
skall r{kna ut n}nting...

S} klart, har man pengar att l{gga ut finns ju saker som Mathematica, MatLab
med mera, men det {r en annan niv}.

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/19/91)

In article <ingemar.671980699@stuart> ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) writes:
>Om vi bortser fr}n Christer Ericssons bitska svar om kursuppgifter...
>
>Att g|ra program som emulerar kalkylatorer p} en dator {r som att emulera en
>cykel med en bil genom att ta bort motorn och s{tta trampor p} den.
>
>Om du vill ha en "kalkylator" f|r att anv{nda den s} finns det en suver{n
>(fast den ser inte ut som en minir{knare): NumberCrunch. Gratis. Smidig.
>Numera greppar jag *alltid* efter musen och inte efter minir{knaren n{r jag
>skall r{kna ut n}nting...
>
>S} klart, har man pengar att l{gga ut finns ju saker som Mathematica, MatLab
>med mera, men det {r en annan niv}.

So what's this say?  I did a rot13 and it still didn't make sense!

;-) ;-) ;-)

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (04/20/91)

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:

>In article <ingemar.671980699@stuart> ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) writes:
>>Om vi bortser fr}n Christer Ericssons bitska svar om kursuppgifter...
>>...more swedish deleted...

>So what's this say?  I did a rot13 and it still didn't make sense!

Whooops... sorry. (blush) I didn't notice that the article (which I read
in swnet.mac) was crossposted. Sorry. Anyway, I said:

To make a program that looks like a calculator on a computer is like emulating
a bicycle with a car by removing the motor. You have a computer, so use it.
There is a nice free program named NumberCrunch that does all that all the
silly calculator DAs does, but in a much better way.

And for those with the cash, there are of course Mathematica and Matlab...

PS: Didn't someone say that crossposting should be kept to a minimum?
If nothing else, I say so now - and post this to 2 groups instead of 4.

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar
                  ..
University of Linkoping, Sweden	     ingemar@isy.liu.se

minow@ranger.enet.dec.com (Martin Minow) (04/20/91)

In article <ingemar.671980699@stuart>, ingemar@isy.liu.se
(Ingemar Ragnemalm) writes a couple of paragraphs on calculators.
Here's a quick translation:

"Writing a calculator program for a computer is like emulating a bicycle
with an automobile by removing the motor and adding pedals.

"If you want to use a calcuator (although it doesn't look like one), try
NumberCrunch, free, slick, superior. Now I grab for a mouse and not
the mini-calculator whenever I have to compute something.

"Of course, if you have the money, you can always use Mathematica, MatLab,
etc. but they are on a different level." [I'd add spreadsheets to the list.]

Martin Minow
minow@ranger.enet.dec.com